Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 questions from a newbie >

questions from a newbie

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

questions from a newbie

Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Default questions from a newbie

I think i have found the right place to get information . Have shot a a 45 cal hawkens ( with patch and ball ) many years ago, have a new in line on the way . Using an inline has me a bit overwhelmed . So here goes .

The new rifle will be used primarily for hunting White tail deer in wood lots and open fields . Bullet choices seem to be limitless . Which caliber pistol bullet should be used 44 0r 45 ? Then which weight bullet should I consider ( 240 -250 -300 )? The deer in our hunting area are quite large . bucks in excess of 220 # and does can hit over 150 # .

I think I may stay with Goex FFG loose powder - that was what I used in my old hawkens . Any guidance from those more experienced than I is appreciated greatly .

FarmerPaul
Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 AM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: questions from a newbie

The answers are probably as limitless as the types of bullets and powders out there. If it was me i would use about a 100 grains of powder with a 250 to 300 grain saboted bullet with a good BCE ( ballistic co-efficient) Most companies offer that info on the package or their website.Something like the Shockwave,Scorpion Gold,Precision rifles dead center,CVA's slick load etc, . Most of the times it boils down to finding what works best in that particular gun. They each seem to have a preference all their own. The only way to find that out is to spend time shooting different loads till you find the perfect one. What inline are you getting??

Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

You might mention the brand of rifle, the caliber, and the model you purchased. Many times there are forum member that own the same model rifle and could give you some excellent advice on loads to try.

In the mean time, Goex is a great powder. No need to change at all. Start your testing at 90 grains of 2f and a good quality bullet and sabot. Because of the size of the deer, you might look into Shockwaves in the 250 class which should offer good penetration and long range shooting abilities.

If you suspect your shots might be closer, again with the 90 grains of Goex try something like a .430 .44 caliber 300 grain XTP or Speer Gold Dot in a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. These I find normally accurate in most all my rifle.

If you want range, knock down, expansion, and just excellent bullet performance, consider the Barnes Expander in 250 or 300 gr. Also the Nosler Partition in 250 grain (I believe they are). Some others are Parker Ballistic Extreme in 250 grain. All of these should shoot real well, and if more powder is needed, these can take a much larger powder charge and still give excellent accuracy..

This is going to be a lot of trial and error for you at first. Once you find a good load, remember it. Then the fun comes with playing with different loads, sabots, and bullets.

Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

When someone says that their deer are big, these bullets come to mind.
Personally, I do not shoot bullets thisheavy because I don't like recoil much.
But if you read the Cabela'sreviews, everyone praises them. And because they're pure lead, they're less expensivesince you get 36per package instead of 15 ofmost others.

http://tinyurl.com/4sqkxb

Here's the rest of Cabela's bullet line up:

http://tinyurl.com/3grgqy
Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Those 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB's will take even elk. I shoot them out of my Black Diamond XR and my Knight Disc. Even though they are pure lead, they are very accurate. I suggested these to a friend that elk hunted with a Black Diamond XR like mine. They loaded 110 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and the cow they shot (a real nice one) we 25 yards, laid down and stretched out dead. They would sure work on a deer as well.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:57 AM

The rifle I purchased in a Traditions Pursuit II XLT 28 inch fluted barrel . Thanks for all the info . Looks like I will have a lot of hard work adhead of me . Cabelas Gander Mountain here I come .
Old 10-02-2008, 12:06 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: FarmerPaul

Looks like I will have a lot of hard work adhead of me . Cabelas Gander Mountain here I come .
yes but oh what fun. It's the kind of work I really enjoy