HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions from a Newbie
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 AM
jmjuergensen

Default Questions from a Newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been around the forum for quite awhile, focusing mainly on the rifle side of things. However, the more I read this site the more I became interested in Bow hunting. To make a long story short, I just recently purchased my first bow, a Fred Bear instinct. Basically, I'm really new to bow hunting and have been trying to gather as much information as I possibly can. This is where you guys come into play. I've just had some random questions pop into my head, and I can't think of a better place to get answers than this forum. Here's a couple I've come up with so far, I apologize if they are stupid questions in advance.

1. What do you do if you've wounded a deer with an arrow but it hasn't died when you find it? Is it legal to then shoot the deer with a gun to (I'm not sure the PC way to say it) finish off the deer?

2. What do people use when they are practicing as a target? I recently purchased a "Broadhead Buck" (one of the full-size deer to shoot at) and it works really nice. It gives you a good idea of where your shot would actually be.

3. What would be my best option in regards to a range finder? I'm looking for something that is decent and does a good job, but I also don't want to break the bank for it. I know everyone says you get what you pay for, but what specific brands/models would you recommend?

4. I'm looking into getting a 2-person stand since my wife wants to tag along with me. She doesn't have any desire (yet) to shoot the deer, but she wants to tag along because she likes seeing everything in its own habitat? What 2-person treestand would you recommend?

I really appreciate all your help, and for you veterans out there, I apologize for any stupid questions. All the knowledge you guys provide on here helps out a ton. Thanks in advance!