Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions? >

Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Emotions aside, could you do it for the conservation aspect alone? I mean, Lions play heck on deer/elk/sheep populations. Again, many of the quotas in some areas are never filled. How do we maintain the bio-diversity of such areas if the cats are eating everything?Would you not lend assistance if you were capable?

Did you know mt. lion meat was one of the preferred meals of mountain men? With that being said, I think ya'll would want to give this meat a try. In Colorado, all edible portions of a lion must be consumed-it's the law.

Trust me, there is no such thing as a cat at wits end (sheep yes, cat never). They elect not to run-nothing more, nothing less. They merely decide to take a stand. They can and do make ribbons of dogs at will.They have the power, patience, and persistance to wear canines out (men too). Their undoing usually comes when theyfail to perceive the hunter strolling onto the scene. When this happens,they still have the ablity to think..."sometimes they run, sometimes the stay...sometimes they die, sometimes they fly!" Next to humans, Mt. lionsarenature's ultimate predator. Their ghostly/athletic abilities are amazing! When you see one leap thirty feet from the top of a tree and disappear, you'll know exactly what I mean. Do not under estimate these wonderful creatures!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM

never thought id enjoy hunting with hounds for anything until i went coon hunting this past winter. man was it fun. now i will definitely be booking a mt lion hunt with hounds and i will prob tote my bow as well. may even try hog or bear with hounds too. they certainly add a rush to the hunt with all the baying and treeing barks, its really exciting. and cats in general (im referring to bobcats) can take many times to tree. i know around here if you tree a bobcat its hard to get there before it jumps out and the chase is on again. very hard to corner cats even if you do tree them because they can jump and run at any moment. this is where those 4-5 hour chases come in play, the hounds are just trained and conditioned to run with the lion until it finally tires out.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huckleberry, like i mentioned earlier, i am interested in oneday going on one of these hunts. Are there any guides that you know who you would reccommend?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nj,

This is the outfitting companyI used. However, I believe ownership has changed hands...

http://www.collegiatepeaksoutfitters.com

Here's a photo of my 175 lb tom:

I'll try to get more info...

Old 03-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd do it in a heartbeat (if I could) and behind dogs. Unfortunately, my body does not react well to high elevations (especially trying to follow dogs). Check out a bud from another forum with his:

Old 03-16-2007, 12:33 PM

I've got no problem with hunting cats with dogs... Seems pretty appropriate when you put it that way doesn't it?

I just think that smart predators target more docile prey species...

... I'm just not a cat person!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would LOVE to hunt Mt. Lions witha bow behind dogs........there's such a feeling of chase and the scenery and even the possible danger of it.
I was watching Traditional Harvest III last night with Fred Eichler and they had 2 Colorado Mt. Lion hunts on it in the snow with dogs and it looked incredible!
The terrain these guys were chasing in was unreal. There was a great segment where they found where thelion they were chasing had killed a full grown 350"+ bull elk and had drug it 40-50 yards to where he started eating it. They could see the whole scene in the snow.

ever since I was a kid Mt. Lions have been one of my favorite animals and I have absolutely no mixed feelings about hunting them.
I'd be there in a heartbeat.

By the way Fred Eichler of Muzzy Pro-staff is or at least WAS an outfitter in Colorado and it appears that he takes clients on Lion hunts. The 2 they showed on the video were shot with a recurve and a longbow.
I want to watch it again when I get home.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would LOVE to hunt mountain lions .... I hate cats ...lol ...They are incredibly facinating to me
Old 03-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

would love to do it!