Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions? >

Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Bowhunting deer is my absolute favorite of all hunting and not much else has really piqued my interest....until tonight.

I saw a guy walking through waist deep snow in the beautiful mountains somewhere and he nailed a mt. lion that was up a tree.

That really interested me. They had a number for an outfitter but I didn't catch it.

Anybody ever go after em with a bow?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Never. But I watched an old Howard Hill film where he did. Obviously it was pretty old film but it was pretty exciting just watching. That guy was awesome.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 PM

Never have, no.

I watched a video where they hunted them with dogs, I actually felt sorry for the cat when it was shot. I don't know exactly how its different, but seeing that cat cornered on a cliff by the dogs and the hunter taking the shot just didn't sit right with me.

Maybe I'm a bit hypocritical for feeling that way, but I don't think its a hunt I would go on myself. Maybe if I called one in or something, but I couldn't hunt them with dogs.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would be a fun challenge!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

saw tom miranda do it on one of his shows and it was with dogs too. They had it up in a tree and he shot it. Doesnt look like fun to me
Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM

I dont think it would be sporting using dogs but heck theirs so many around here I would love it to be legal to use dogs
we have one {million}to many not to mention I dont like cats.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's ok to chase ducks/geese, pheasant, quail, etc. with dogs, but when it comes to mt lions...that wrong? What wrong with this picture? Seem like a double standard to me.

Yes, I have hunting Mt. lion. Quite frankly to this day, ithas been the hardest hunt I have ever endured. I killed my lion afterfive days of strenuous hunting ( I was in the best physical condition of my life).Following dogs isn't as easy as you all think, nor is it a guarantee. My cat scaled cliffs unscaleable by the dogs or man. He jumped from tree to tree...tree to rock ledge. He went places the dogs could not follow. Many times the houndsman and I were left scratching our heads. I was forced to case my bow after my second outing. I thought hunting with a slung rifle would free up my hands and arms for climbing. In the end the rifle bruised my head plenty and it was severely damaged with the poor footing in icy conditions.I kill my lion with a pistol. The handgun seemed to be the best solution for the task at hand. I could throw it into a pack. Thus, offering the weapon some protection andallowing me the freedom to use my hands. My hunts lasted from sun rise to sunset (6:00 am to 5:00 pm). The miles put in would have killed an average person (honest). This hunt is not for the faint at heart and should be taken seriously.

Yes,killing the lion was not nearly as fun/hard as the chase. But it sure was rewarding to have the cat in the bag. Thecanines were a means to an end...no different than usingdogs to point birds. If it's not your cup of tea...don't play! If youdesire an incrediblyawesome hunt...knock yourself out!

Lion makes for someterrific table fare, and no, it doesn't taste like chicken (has the texture of a good porkchop)

My $.02

Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

It's ok to chase ducks/geese, pheasant, quail, etc. with dogs, but when it comes to mt lions...that wrong? What wrong with this picture? Seem like a double standard to me.
I guess with that, ducks/geese, pheasant, etc. can fly away. When a cougar is pinned on a cliff or stuck up a tree it can't just fly away.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Yes, I have hunting Mt. lion. Quite frankly to this day, ithas been the hardest hunt I have ever endured. I killed my lion afterfive days of strenuous hunting ( I was in the best physical condition of my life).Following dogs isn't as easy as you all think, nor is it a guarantee. My cat scaled cliffs unscaleable by the dogs or man. He jumped from tree to tree...tree to rock ledge. He went places the dogs could not follow. Many times the houndsman and I were left scratching our heads. I was forced to case my bow after my second outing. I thought hunting with a slung rifle would free up my hands and arms for climbing. In the end the rifle bruised my head plenty and it was severely damaged with the poor footing in icy conditions.I kill my lion with a pistol. The handgun seemed to be the best solution for the task at hand. I could throw it into a pack. Thus, offering the weapon some protection andallowing me the freedom to use my hands. My hunts lasted from sun rise to sunset (6:00 am to 5:00 pm). The miles put in would have killed an average person (honest). This hunt is not for the faint at heart and should be taken seriously.

Yes,killing the lion was not nearly as fun/hard as the chase. But it sure was rewarding to have the cat in the bag. Thecanines were a means to an end...no different than usingdogs to point birds. If it's not your cup of tea...don't play! If youdesire an incrediblyawesome hunt...knock yourself out!

Lion makes for someterrific table fare, and no, it doesn't taste like chicken (has the texture of a good porkchop)

My $.02

I can see where you are comming from. I have a Primos video and they have a couple mt lion bow hunts on there that use dogs. They show the viewer the main part which is the final trcking by the dogs and then of course the kill. I think this makes it look bad using dogs because they are showing viewers edited footage and not the 5 day chase like you were on. Using the editing makes it seem like it took about 15 minutes, whne actually it might have taken days and hrs in the mountains.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:18 PM

I enjoy the chase much more than the kill. The cats I've harvested with a bow were pretty well worn down from the miles of rough terrain and hard running. But the bottom line is that I will be back out there next year with my bow and some dogs and doing it again.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever bowhunt mt. lions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.