Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Too many Lions....

Old 01-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Too many Lions....

storylast updated: 1/8/2004

Another Lion attack here in Calif...

Mountain Lion Attacks Bikers In Orange County, Body Found

WHITING RANCH — A mountain lion was shot by authorities late Thursday after two bicyclists were attacked in an Orange County wilderness park, one of them a woman who was dragged and injured. The body of a man who may have been mauled by the same animal also was found nearby, authorities said.
Television images showed the lion had been dragged out into the open and was sprawled on the ground after it was shot by authorities. It wasn't immediately known if the animal had been killed or if authorities were certain it was the one that attacked the bicyclists..

The attack occurred shortly after 4:30 p.m. in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park when a mountain lion attacked a woman who was riding a bicycle with her friend, said Capt. Stephen Miller of the Orange County Fire Authority..

The lion grabbed the woman, believed to be in her 20s or 30s, by her head and began dragging her, Miller said. Her friend began screaming for help and grabbed the victim's legs in a struggle to free her..

Diego Lopez told ABC7 that he arrived shortly after the attack and began throwing rocks at the animal, which scared it away..

"There was a woman holding the victim by the legs, and the cat was latched onto the victim's face," Lopez told the television station. "I picked up a rock and threw it at the cat and the rock hit the cat right on the side of the head and the cat took off straight ahead and let go of the woman.".

The woman was flown by helicopter to Mission Hospital. Her condition was not immediately known..

The body of an unidentified man was found at the top of a trail after an unattended bicycle was found following the attack, Miller said. Authorities couldn't confirm if the man, believed to be in his 20s or 30s, was killed by the mountain lion..

"We don't know how long he's been out there," Miller said. "But it's pretty obvious that an animal was involved in this (death).".

Coroner's officials were called to the scene and will perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death..

Armed sheriff's deputies ******ed firefighters and paramedics to the victims because of the potential danger, Miller said. State Fish and Game officials also searched for the mountain lion late Thursday..

The park is adjacent to the communities of Foothill Ranch and Portola Hills and Cleveland National Forest..

Last September, game wardens shot and wounded an aggressive mountain lion spotted near an equestrian center in San Juan Capistrano. A second lion was seen, but along with the first was never found..

The threat of mountain lions has become an increasing problem in Southern California as development encroaches upon rural areas that have been home to various animals..

In 1986, 5 -year-old Laura Small was attacked while looking for tadpoles with her mother in Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park in Orange County..

The girl's mother was able to rescue her daughter whose skull was partially crushed by the mountain lion's jaws. She was left blind in one eye and paralyzed on her right side..

Months later, a 6-year-old boy was mauled in the same park. County supervisors closed most of the park to children for nearly a decade. The ban was lifted in December 1997.
Lot of you fellas worry about snakes in the turkey woods well here its common to come into contact with a cougar in our stretch of turkey woods.Every year I have at least one buddy or two call one in with a turkey call.Tragic story to say the least here but in rural areas that have lions they just aren't afraid of people and in some instances this is what happens.Theres been a moritorium on these cats here in Calif since I believe the early seventies late sixties and we now have an estimated population between 5,000-10,000 cats.They say they kill a deer a week and its no wonder our deer herd over the last 30 years is on a steady decline.Initiatives come up often to lift the ban to be able to hunt these predators but unfortunately in this case the majority rules and thats those in our inner cities and of course your animal lovers.Guess they should try and ask these two ladies what they think,well one any way.[:@]The very next night a mile away from this incident another cat was hit and killed on a highway!!Yes this is a sore spot with me!!![:@]
Old 01-12-2004, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too many Lions....

Bob,You be careful out there my friend.Sounds like you have a real problem with them critters.Look at the bright side,When you come east this Spring the only critter you'll need to worry about is Adrian hittin you on the head and takin your gun to shoot the bird
Old 01-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too many Lions....

I dont know Jimbo I carry a pretty big stick he might not be able to pick my old Maggy up!!I think the gun is as long as he is tall!!