Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

LIONS

Old 08-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default LIONS

this will be my first year hunting mountain lions. Do alot of people on this board hunt lions. In colorado the season runs from Nov. 11- March 31. I have 3 or 4 really good areas that have alot of lions and large deer populations. Im hoping to contact some landowners soon that have alot of private land right outside boulder. Hopefully ill be able to get a lion this year, even though its my first year i think i know what im doing. Also i wont be using dogs either. At least it will give me something to do for 4 1/2 months this winter other than boarding, after deer and elk seasons close.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:10 AM

Default RE: LIONS

good luck, hunting lions without dogs will be a challange. i think your best bet would be to concentrate your hunting around the snow, with any luck you will be able to cut some fresh tracks. those critters are pretty elusive ...be sure you keep an eye on the trees above you while walking through the woods.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Spike

I originally posted this on the small game and predators forum. What do you guys think of my plan?

Im going lion hunting this year for the first time. What im going to do it is ill go up right after a good snowfall of 4 or more inches. Then put on my snow shoes and start walking back into the hills. Ill be hunting outside of boulder colorado, there is an extremely high population of lions and mule deer here. Im just going to start snow shoing and hope i cross lion tracks before noon. then ill follow the tracks of the lion untill the tracks get hurried or untill i stalk within eye site of the lion. if the tracks get hurried then i will kick it up my pace to gain ground on the lion. hopefully the lion will realize its being chased and it will tree itself or i will be able to get a shot before its know about me following it. I will be hunting the wintering grounds of the deer so there WILL be lions in the areas i plan hunting. Also the season is 4 1/2 months long so my chances are pretty good of crossing fresh lion tracks. Ill will be using my 30-06 with 180 grain bullets cause the last thing i want is to track a wounded 180 pound lion 1-2 miles away from my truck or crest the top of a ridge and find a lion eating a mule deer less than 50 yards away. I will be hunting alone and i understand this method of hunting has the possiblity of being life threatning. So i will also be packing winter survive gear, a gps with extra batteries, a cell phone and a 44. revolver. plus i will let my family know where i m going and when to expect me to return home. As a side note there have only been 12 reported lion attacks in the state of colorado ever and 4 of the 12 were in boulder county were i will be hunting.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:07 PM

have fun
Old 08-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Please make SURE you let us know how this all turns out. Talk about doing things the unconventional way! Good luck, and be safe.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Spike

i will tell u guys for sure how it turns out good or bad. does anybody that hunts lions see any errors in my proposed techinque?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:06 AM

Krueger,

I haven't hunted mountain lions, but I used to hunt bobcats using dogs when I was in high school. The problem we would have is if the dogs are not fast enough they wouldn't be able to put enough pressure on the cat to put him up a tree. I could be wrong, but I don't think your method will put enough pressure on a lion to bring it to bay.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Spike

i didnt think of that. hopefully i will be able to get within rifle range of one anyways. doesnt hurt to try. thanks
Old 08-15-2004, 09:47 PM

Without dogs, I think you are waisting your time honestly. Not that it can't be done, BUT even after cutting a very fresh track, it takes a team of
VERY good dogs to make a lion bay up. I have hunted lion's numerous times, and dogs are the ONLY way you can expect to catch one. I know it CAN be done without dogs, but I just believe that lions would never be seen by people unless they wanted to be. I live in prime lion country, and have seen every an animal in the wild, even Wolf, but never a lion without dogs. Don't get me wrong, I do hope you are successful, I just would'nt get my hopes up. There is a reason the season is so long, even with dogs, the quota is very hard to fill.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the opportunty of shooting at 2 different lions in three years. One I was able to kill. The other I missed. Both times I had an encounter is when I was elk hunting and calling. If you are going without dogs I think that the best way would be to try to call one in. You will end up with nothing but sore feet and a fast heart rate if you plan on running one down and treeing it. Try a calf elk call and cover in elk scent. Look out for the bears. They like the calf calls too. Keep your eye out when calling, and remember, you are on the dinner table when they come in. Fair chase kill on a lion is an experience that you will never forget!!!!!

Quick Reply: LIONS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.