Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sharing private land with gun hunters? >

Sharing private land with gun hunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sharing private land with gun hunters?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sharing private land with gun hunters?

Which part of NY are you talking about. Icould ask around. I have a few army buddies that work for the DEC.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

NYB,

I tend to think a little differently, take the information inside the box and stretch the corners to really extreme angles [8D] if ya' know what I mean...

This is what I would do:

1) If you haven't, be sure to tell the landowner everything you have described. Also, be sure to inform the landowner that although you have contacted the DEC, that they are spread too thin and cannot spare the resources to watch this man.

2) Inform the landowner (and this is where you'll need to feel the man's oats out, if ya' will) that by allowing this man to continue hunting on his property, that he in essence is also breaking the law by allowing a poacher to take game off of his property. Kindly inform him that you in no way are insinuating anything, or that you will report him (the landowner), but do tell him that if the DEC does apprehend this poacher, they will contact you and that you will be forced to be forthcoming with all of the information. Most non-hunting landowners do not realize the possible ramifications of their non-actions in these type of situations. After everything this poacher has done to this landowner, though, I am wondering why the landowner still allows him to hunt---are they related in some way?

3) I think a nice long-drawn out conversation with this landowner, perhaps over a nice scotch or a cold 6-pack and some wings (again, you'll know this part best ), will alleviate all of your problems, and probably have you sitting in these woods by yourself during the season.

Now, if you don't want to go to that route...and considering I grew up in Upstate NY, and have dealt with this crap before...but it takes some cajones...

Take down his stands and place them in a heap in the woods. Hunt wherever you feel the need, you have permission. He has repeatedly attempted to obstruct your hunting, and your success on this property, and now you're worried about offending this guy?

NYB, I know you're a nice guy, but sometimes even nice guys need to act like a pr1ck when certain people deserve it...

Old 10-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Which part of NY are you talking about. Icould ask around. I have a few army buddies that work for the DEC.
Finger Lakes Region......... Auburn area.

Strut,

I hear what you're saying but the landowner is an older guy and the type that really doesnt' give a crap. He's not a hunter and not interested in hunting at all. He's kind of the leave me alone type of guy. Nice guy, but private sort of guy. I talk to him every now and then when I see him out. I dont' want to burden him with my headaches.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last season he shot 7 bucks which is totally illegal and he is a poaching scumbag.
why not report him to DEC?buy the sound of it, he has no business being in the woods.