Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thar She Blows! 21 Times? >

Thar She Blows! 21 Times?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thar She Blows! 21 Times?

Old 10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thar She Blows! 21 Times?

Went out this am and started heading for where I wanted to put my climber, but the wind wasn't right so I went to spot B. I was settled in at 7:00. amd heard leaves crunching at 7:05. A big doe and 2 skippers were off to my right. Instead of taking the trail that would have led them under my stand, they stayed on a trail that went behind me. I was hoping they would come around on the other side, but then I hear her blow.And blow, and blow... I was frozen solid, I didn't want to give her a reason to bolt. The blowing was over my right shoulder, but then, it was over my left. She was moving, and I thought she might come around to the side of my stand.but she hung up at about 50 yards behind me, and I was able to see her and another deer.Now I'm not sure if it was the same 3 I saw originally... Anyway, She blew a total of 21 times before they took off. I tried grunting her back. hit the can a time or two, but nada for the rest of the day. I have to wonder if I would have hit my first location if I would have had a shot?? Anyway, that is the most I've ever had a deer stand her ground blowing. Usually, 3 or 4 tops, then they're gone or decided there was nothing to run from. What was the most you ever had a deer blow at you?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thar She Blows! 21 Times?

I never counted, but I had one blowing and stomping for 5 minutes once, when I was in a ground blind! I would say it was close to 20 times!!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe six times or so.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

that doe was keepin it reel
Old 10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you use any kind of scent eliminating clothing, sprays or routine?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:13 PM

I had a buck get really upset with me on opening morning. I got to my stand, got up there, hadn't even sat down and I heard the god-awful sound. It was a ways out, probably 40 yards, looked into the set aside field and away he went, all of the way across the field, through the field on the other side (total of about 200 yards) and I could hear him all of the way. He was NOT a happy camper that morning. Of course there wasn't much I could do about it, I had to get into my stand! We got out there late too, only 5 minutes until I coulda shot, shoulda been out there a half hour earlier... probably woulda had a shot at him.

Goes to show, you need to be in your stand before the light starts to break... lesson learned, get your butt out of bed the FIRST time the alarm goes off.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

What was the most you ever had a deer blow at you?

2 Sat. ago. Let me count
about 9 times for about 100 yds. I haven't seen her or her relatives since. She was given me a real chewing out.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back I had one blow 15 times(I counted) Usually in my experiences its 1-3 times tops.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Do you use any kind of scent eliminating clothing, sprays or routine?
I've been a bit lax in that department. I took a scent free shower, but the night before (dont flame me, I know... I was working on only a few hours sleep today) I was wearing X-Scent top and bottoms, but some of my clothes may have been worn up to twice before, but they get stored in a bag with scent wafers. I usually hunt afternoons, and I goofed today, I wore a fleece jacket while packing in today because it was cold this morning, I did work up a bit of a sweat. I know I got winded, I've never had them blow for no reason, usually they'll stare and stomp if they catch movement, but I figure when they blow without seeing you, you've been winded... I did spray some vanilla/water for the first time on some trees about 15 yards in front of me, and sprayed some deer dander into the air when I was up in my stand (don't know why, but it seemed like a good thing to do at the time...) I did forget to spray down at the truck, which I usually do.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had deer blow for 15-20 minutes a couple times....maybe a couple hundred blows in all. Generally they may get just a bit of my scent and then can't really pin me down as I am pretty scent free and careful about the wind....talk about irritating[:@] when they stick around though.

Quick Reply: Thar She Blows! 21 Times?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.