Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone use gun hunters sharing your land to your advantage? >

Anyone use gun hunters sharing your land to your advantage?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone use gun hunters sharing your land to your advantage?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone use gun hunters sharing your land to your advantage?

I have 2 guys gun hunting the 150 new acres I acquired. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can use their lack of scent control and added presence to my advantage.

I suppose being on stand when they are on their way in and out would be one. I suppose avoiding areas they frequent would be another. They're hunting the open fields for the most part.....so I don't have their interference in the woods.

ONLY thing that concerns me is.....I called one of them yesterday....and he said he was still hunting.

DANG![:@] 2 Months of scent control and wind playing.....and I get THAT?

Right baout now....I'd love to have access to the lands BESIDE where I'm hunting....lol

OK...which brings up ANOTHER good point. Those lands are being gun hunted, too! There HAS to be an advantage to be gained by virtue of these guys not being as conscientious about the little things. I'm also not lumping these guys in with ALL gun hunters. I just know these guys. They're not the "scent-free"/"play the wind" crowd. They're the "set up on a field edge and give me plenty of room to shoot" guys. Ill post an aerial of one of the spots to better illustrate.....soon.

Hee's that map....

DANG!

One of the guys hunting the land I'm on just called. He shot a 7 pointer yesterday. (actually good for him) Should have a photo later to see if it's one I've been seeing (although I don't recall a 7 pointer....it could be one I thought was a 6)
Old 11-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Default RE: Anyone use gun hunters sharing your land to your advantage?

Yesterday was youth gun season in Maryland. Every year about 3 miles up the road a group of adults take about 5 to 6 youths hunting. Every year right at the end of the day they do a deer drive. Last night I sat and watched the field between were they hunt and were my hunting property starts.

I saw 2 shooter bucks right at dark and several smaller bucks with numerous doe and fawns come screaming out of those woods across the huge field and run into my woods. I call that using them to my advantage, most if not all those deer will stay in the big woods until gun season on 29 Nov. I have watched this event unfold for 4 years now.

Dave
Old 11-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

We all park at the farmhouse, mostly. I've had Lisa drop me off at the woods edge before too. I've mixed up my entrance/exits pretty well.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbors gun hunt really hard, I usually stay out of our woods during gun season, or just hunt the edges, we have a lot of thick stuff, I load up my feeders and stay out, I want them to feel our thickets are a safe haven from gun hunters!
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

On my land, it is impossible to use them to my advantage. I used to think it was to my advantage, I'm wrong, and it is not.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

I would say that every day that they are gun hunting in the areas you hunt, it would not be an advantage to you, unless you were in your stand when they enter their hunting area.

If you are hunting the areas surrounding land they are hunting, you could definately use them to your advantage.Find out where the deer are escaping from and simply set a game plan to ambush them or let them settle down and then hunt them.

My land is bordered on two sides by hunt club land...dogs and 30 hunters. I simply wait on my side of the creek and note where they are crossing and set up on them there. I know where the bedding areas and food sources are on my land and by them chasing or bumping deer onto my land, it just adds more deer to hunt.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is one guy that hunts on the farm that I hunt during one of the gun seasons. This is a HUGE advantage because it keeps the a-hole tresspassers off the property. They used to go through there every year and just destroy the deer population.[:'(]The guy that hunts there is purely a trophy hunter and has yet to even pull the trigger so even if he does manage to get one hes doing more good than bad. This guy is a very avid bowhunter so he knows what hes doing.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have dealt with that stuff for years where I hunt. Jeff, you seem to know what you are doing so this is the only bit of advice I can give you...."the grass isn't always greener on the other side". Even though I like to push in deep to get away from other hunters, sometimes the deer are where you least expect them. I remember when I was gun hunting years ago, and the hunting would get tough in December due to the influx of all the hunters on base. I remember a couple of honey holes I had that were only 120-150 yards from the road. Everyone would walk in that 400-800 yards and forget about the land tightest to the road, around cover. I remember killing several does in those spots in the dead of winter.