Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 public land or private land for coyote? >

public land or private land for coyote?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

public land or private land for coyote?

Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM

Default public land or private land for coyote?

Hi wich do you all think would be best for coyote hunting? public land or private land? what whould the pros & conns be of both? i live in oklahoma and have access to both and was trying to decide wich to start hunting first. sorry if these seem like stupid question but i am new to coyote hunting. all imput on this would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: public land or private land for coyote?

The best land to call coyotes on will depend on several factors, some of which are: IS there calling pressure on the land already?, is there good coyote numbers to start with?, Is there a good food source and cover on the land to hold the coyotes on the land?. In other words, if there is no pressure and there are good numbers and good food source and cover on the land, it doesn't matter if the land is private or public. BUT, in general private is usually better because not everyone takes the time to knock on doors for permission to hunt, where on public they don't need to knock, they just hunt when they want.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

We predator hunt mainly on public land here in northern Mn. We have 1000's of acres to hunt on and the pressure is VERY minimal compared to other states. We have pretty heavily forested areas, so we don't usually get shots of more than 75 yds, so the areas that have been logged work well for us. Granted it's nice to have a couple private "honey holes" to fall back on, but they don't make or break our yote hunting here. Taz
Old 12-09-2004, 12:34 PM

ok thanks. that is what i was thinking about. the public land is 9,600 acrs but there are alot of ponds on it, shooting range so gun fire is common, horse rider. so there is always peaple out there. im shure all public is like this. what i like about it is there is a lot of land. oh yes an old family friend called me last night because he has a lot of coyotes on his land and they even came to his house and attacted his beagle it is still at the vet. i think i should start there. he lives on 80acrs by the river. what do you all think?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they are attacking pets, that is as good a spot to start as any. Obviously you will only get 2 calling sets, at most, on 80 acres, depending on how the land lays it could be a half mile from one end to the other. Calling on public lands that also have bike riders, horse back riders, etc. can be frustrating as you have the possiblity of having other people show up at the wrong time, and obviously have to watch where and what you are shooting at. But, coyotes on public land can become accustomed to humans and might not become alarmed at your scent when they come to the call, so that might give ya an edge.
good luck!