HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Sharing private land with gun hunters? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/161008-sharing-private-land-gun-hunters.html)

NY Bowhunter 10-21-2006 06:27 PM

Sharing private land with gun hunters?

Would you hang a stand during bowseason near a gunhunters stand with the intentions of removing it before gun season opened or leave the area alone for the gunhunter?(150 acres of land with 75% of the deer concentrated in the one corner of the land in question)

* A lot more to the situation........ just wanted to see your general opinion.

txjourneyman 10-21-2006 06:45 PM

RE: Sharing private land with gun hunters?

I just moved the stand I killed a doe and a spike out of. My brother in law likes to gun hunt that spot. He knows I've been in there and the deal is that I get out 2 weeks before gun season. Most years he bowhunts but lets me have that spot during the 1st 2 weeks of archery season. This year he hasn't pulled his bow back in months. We are the only 2 on the property although after moving my stand to a promising looking funnel this AM, I walked back to my truck along a fence line and noticed that some one on the next property has put up a tripod 20yds from the fence. This may not work too well. His stand is facing the fence and that fenceline is my travel route to my stand. I don't like to screw up someone elses hunt but I'm not going to change my path to my stand. The only other way to get there is up wind of a bedding area. I guess he shouldn't set up that close to the fence. Am I wrong because he had his stand up 1st? Sorry I got long winded. EDIT: I won't be moving this stand for the guy over the fence. His stand location is poorly thought out with it overlooking the fence. I don't mind a bit moving for my B-I-L. Well, maybe a little! That spot is GOOD!

west_hunter21 10-21-2006 07:04 PM

I hunt on some land that my dad and uncles all bought a while back (80 acres)--we (about 10-12 people) all rifle hunt it, but I'm the only one that goes out with a bow. I've talked to all of 'em, and they tell me I can use their stands as long as I don't use it about 2 weeks before rifle season starts. Its ok with them.

Still, though, I usually try to set up about 50-100 yards away from their stands--if I set up by one at all. I don't see anything wrong with using one of theirs (or setting up near it)--I just know some other spots that I can use that no one rifle hunts.

In my opinion, as long as you're not stepping on any toes, I don't see a problem.

JeffS 10-21-2006 08:28 PM

We use the same areas for bow and gun hunting. we never have had a problem with it. We've had some stands were someone shot a deer in the morning and then someone else later in the same afternoon. We just get together and decide where everybody will be before we head out and share the areas with each other.

NY Bowhunter 10-22-2006 03:04 AM

Here's the very short version of the situation. The guy(with the gunstand)used to post this land. I've called him several times over the years for permission and he said no. Come to find out he doesnt' even own it and has been lying to me about owning it for years.The landowner just let him put up postedsigns.I get permission to hunt it from the real landowner.

I go to his house and introduce myself. Told him I got permission to hunt that land and I'd like to get together with him. I wanted him to show me where he was and I was going to get as far away as possible. I even told him I'd bowhunt only and he could have the place to himself for gun. He didnt' seem too enthused about any of it.

So I just started putting up a few stands here and there on the land. I get a call a month later (opening day of bowseason) telling methat he leased the land and I need to get my stuff out of there. Whatever ......so I did. I called the landowner and asked him what the deal was that I though I had permission. He said I never told him he could kick anyone off my land [:-]. So the landowner got sorta pissed at the gunhunter dude and gave him his money back and told me I could hunt there all I wanted. Back I go with my stands [8D].

Now the dude is infuriated.Finally after years of battling, (we still don't like eachother) I ended up not putting a stand or walking by his little honey hole of a spot. This seemed to appease him. Problem is......... that's where all the deer are. Last season he shot 7 bucks which is totally illegal and he is a poaching scumbag.

So I ask myself and you. Should I continue to stay away from this spot to appease this dirtbag and keep things halfway civil. Or should I say screw the poaching, lying dirtball put up a stand and shoot a deer tommorow? What would you do?

fshafly2 10-22-2006 03:11 AM

Your landowner, fellow hunters, and the nonhunting publicdeserve respect and consideration, poachers deserve neither...
-fsh

salty 10-22-2006 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Here's the very short version of the situation. The guy(with the gunstand)used to post this land. I've called him several times over the years for permission and he said no. Come to find out he doesnt' even own it and has been lying to me about owning it for years.The landowner just let him put up postedsigns.I get permission to hunt it from the real landowner.

I go to his house and introduce myself. Told him I got permission to hunt that land and I'd like to get together with him. I wanted him to show me where he was and I was going to get as far away as possible. I even told him I'd bowhunt only and he could have the place to himself for gun. He didnt' seem too enthused about any of it.

So I just started putting up a few stands here and there on the land. I get a call a month later (opening day of bowseason) telling methat he leased the land and I need to get my stuff out of there. Whatever ......so I did. I called the landowner and asked him what the deal was that I though I had permission. He said I never told him he could kick anyone off my land [:-]. So the landowner got sorta pissed at the gunhunter dude and gave him his money back and told me I could hunt there all I wanted. Back I go with my stands [8D].

Now the dude is infuriated.Finally after years of battling, (we still don't like eachother) I ended up not putting a stand or walking by his little honey hole of a spot. This seemed to appease him. Problem is......... that's where all the deer are. Last season he shot 7 bucks which is totally illegal and he is a poaching scumbag.

So I ask myself and you. Should I continue to stay away from this spot to appease this dirtbag and keep things halfway civil. Or should I say screw the poaching, lying dirtball put up a stand and shoot a deer tommorow? What would you do?

NYbowhunter...... check your PM.. your situation seems entirely too similar to mine until I moved to northern ulster county.

BTW, put your stand right next to his and shoot the biggest buck you can find and staple a pic of it to the seat of his stand.

Planter 10-22-2006 05:35 AM

I think sharing a bow stand with a gun hunter is fine. The deer are gonna be acting differently 2 minutes into rifle season anyway. But between guys sitting in my stands Or stealing them there are alot of maggots out there.
The thing that gets me is when guys set up a stand on public grounds and leave it up forver. Maybe not even sitting it. They did not buy the land by setting a stand so how long I gotta wait. I stear clear of other guys set-ups the best I can but it is a two way street.I try to give the other guy as much space as possible But I sure don't think txrookie should find a new route to his stand. Yah gotta play the wind. Hey kill something guys>>>>>>>.whack

BOWFANATIC 10-22-2006 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: fshafly2

Your landowner, fellow hunters, and the nonhunting publicdeserve respect and consideration, poachers deserve neither...
-fsh
Couldn't have said it better! If I were in your situation the problem would have been solved already because he would have lost his hunting privelege last year.

NY Bowhunter 10-22-2006 08:20 AM

Couldn't have said it better! If I were in your situation the problem would have been solved already because he would have lost his hunting privelege last year
Believe me I've tried. I have about 50 calls to the DEC over the last few years. Told them everything about the guy. A slam dunk nab if they want to set up robo deer across the street from his house because he's been known to whack deer at night from his front yard too. The DEC keeps telling me how thin they are spread (which they are), but what else could you ask for? An easy nab IMO.