Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

stand site...

Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 AM

Default RE: stand site...

I would not overlook setting up your stand closer to the houses (within legal rule of course). I hunt in a similar terrain here in NJ where we try to reduce the deer population in some towns and I cannot tell you how productive it is to set up about 100-200 yards from the endges of developments/properties. I get deer coming from the neighborhoods in the early morning hours and also when they are slowly making their ways back out of the woods in the late afternoon hours.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

where at by the houses northern hunter?? i was thinking in the finger above the moving center..ive seen deer and sign there before. the woods by the houses across from my stand now arent very promising..i can honestly say ive never seen a deer over there..im not afraid to hunt close to someones back yard..they wont even notice me.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where I circled I like for the rut, I can not see the woods across the road, How big are they? You might catch a big boy sneaking thru here.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ghemry..thats the other spot i was considering. its not a HUGE piece of woods..but ive seen deer there..and they funnel out it often..i got reports of them crossing that main road..and ive seen them a number of times there coming home from work at 11pm. i used to live RIGHT on that map lol. that will be another spot worth checking out..but its a thin spot. it looks goodsized on the map but its not..i wonder how old this pic is..they probably added houses since its been taken..its huntable. i was thinking by the water tower..i forgot to label it..but where i quit drawing the deer trail you can see it just above there. problem is access. i may beable to park right above it on the road..theres an alley there seldomly used i can problably pull off of. im so excited about this spot though. i been walking it since i was 13 or 14. then hunting it since 16. i learned ALOT back there just because i walked there almost every day after school when i was young. cant count the deer ive seen there..killed my first turkey there...hopefully my first deer with a bow too. and i know exzactly where joe larry and curley come in from and where they frequent. guys are jokers...i bet none even killed a deer there. one guy drives an ATV to his stand every year. the other ones are just as bad...walking in on the ATV trails and deer trails..skylined on the ridge and the wind blowing straight in the deers face....i think im set. im excited the more i think about it..opening morning i have a spot my farmer friend has me hunting. sit there till i cant sit any longer(its a field spot where they head back to bed in the mornings and will be a slowww boring hunt unless im shooting at first light) then the evening im heading to the orchard. but i dont wanna burn either spot out....thats why im still plotting more stand sights. i just bought a summit viper...im ready to climb some trees. plus all the spots i have up here at school to hunt. im pumped....all these spots and no time to hunt[&:] lol.