Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best stand site?

Old 08-05-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Best stand site?

i want to start bowhunting this fall. i am set as far as equiptment, but i am not exactly sure what to look for in the woods. any ideas on the best stand sites? i am not looking for a trophy, just some meat for the freezer. so if any of you have any good stand sites, please let me know.thanks.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best stand site?

Okay where are you hunting? Private, public, what state?
Are you early season bow?-If so you need to find a good food source, corn,soybean,clover,alfalfa.......acorns, persimmons, blackberries(out of season), paw-paws,apple trees, ect..........get it.

Look for trails, deer droppings, beds,dont worry about rubs if your early season. Those are just random rubs. Look for funnels, tree lines along a field, bottlenecks, draws, benches along a mast crop. ONce you find some of these, locate a tree. Are hunting with a climber, fixed? find a spot that will conceal you and give you a great view to hunt from. I hate hunting a spot that i cant see more than 70 yds either way.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Turkey, it seems you have done it more than once or twice.
Very good advice!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:59 AM

Like Turkey Fan said, it depends on what time of year you are hunting. Early season look for a food source (corn, beans, clover anything a deer may eat). Towards the rut, look for rubs and scrapes made by bucks. Late season switch back to a food source. But IMO the most important thing to look for are does. Where there are does there are bucks. But if you are just looking for some meat, you can't go wrong with finding the does. Who knows, maybe a monster buck will be with the does!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:19 AM

Turkey Fan and dough boy know their stuff. Only thing I can add is the wind factor. So, a high stand is better in the early fall when the winds are variable.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You've got some good advice here. Remember that deer are creatures of the edge. they love to travel along the edges of fields, woods, thickets, or along fence rows (a really good place to look for is where deer are crossing a fence by jumping or making a hole, there will be a lot of hair in the fence and well beaten on both sides) If your in deer country and have to choose the middle of something or the edge to hunt. Look toward the edge.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

don't set up right on the trail but off to one side where you'll have a good view and shot at it.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:18 AM

Everyone is right on and I would like to add one thing. Make sure not to trim too much- just a few shooting lanes. You will stick out if you trim everything in sight thinking that you are covering every single shot in the woods. It is better to not get a shot than getting busted when you go to take the shot! That will only educate them further to your location.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:22 AM

HST,

If you have a topo map and areial photo of the area you'll be hunting we should be able to point you in the right direction. Reading maps and looking for the type of stuff TurkeyFan descrided is curtial for sucess with a bow. You need to be in position that will allow the deer to come to you.

You may be able to find a map and aerial photo here http://www.terraserverusa.com/

Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 PM

Just like everyone else said, there are so many factors in picking a good spot. If you want dead on advice you need to let us know what the area your hunting looks like...ie is there any crop fields, did you plant any plots....there is alot more info we need to help you directly with that question.