Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand site?

Old 06-22-2004, 01:03 AM

Default Stand site?

Ok,
My area of our hunting property allows me two postions. One with the predominate wind at my back and one with it in my face. To get the wind in my face I have to cross my funnel area to get to a stand site. Either way the bedding area is downwind. What would be your preference? And no there is no set up farther down the funnel. The owner has refused me permission even to shoot bow across the line.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 06-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Stand site?

Well it's really hard to say without seeing how big an area we're talking about and the lay of the land. There are very few "Only one way" deals in the woods. You may have one of those spots that you should only hunt once in a blue moon when you get a freaky wind. I have a couple stands that I have to wait for an odd ball wind day, usually a storm moving in off the coast or something. Going near them at any other time is stupid and just alerts the deer. I see in another post you set up your own stands by yourself... so I know you have others. TO preserve the integrity of this spot you may need to avoid it until all is well with mother nature. Do your scouting, find a couple spots in it or around it, hand a stand, take the steps out or remember trees for you climber. When mother nature cooperates... go hunting. I've hung stands at 10 PM in the rain to avoid screwing up a set up. At that time I knew the deer were several hundred yards away in the fields and any stink would be gone by morning.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:13 AM

DavidMil,
Thanks for the response. I do avoid the area as much as possible. I don't have alot of choice as to were to hunt. Our area is mostly vineyards, I have a great spot between two natural ridges on a travel route between several bedding areas and food sources. (Acorns, Corn fields, and Grapes). I am in one corner. There is only one way in and out. I am surrounded by private property. My area to work with is about a acre so I can't spread too much. I mainly wondering wether it was better to walk through my funnel/stagin area to get upwind from it or to sit downwind of and stay out of it? No matter were I set up in my area this is the choice I have to make.
Thanks Again
Craig
Old 06-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep the wind in your face.