Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

videoing hunts

Old 08-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default videoing hunts

I HAVE A SMALL 8 MM RECORDER AND ME AND MY SON HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT VIDEOING THIS YEAR. I WAS WONDERING HOW HARD IT IS AND ANY SUGGESTIONS TO HELP ME OUT.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: videoing hunts

The videoing isnt hard. Its getting the deer to cooperate... Shoot when the camera man says to shoot...
Old 08-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not hard. You just have to worry about the basics...double scent control, double motion control, double noise control.

I would suggest camo-ing your camera somehow if it isn't black. Mine was silver and we usually wrapped an old camo shirt around it. Also, sometimes the camera's make noise when they are filming, try to figure out a way to eliminate it...perhaps by keeping it on standby or whatever during the hunt.

Also, we hang two stands back-to-back on the same tree. One's a shooter stand and one's a filming stand.

Hope that helped ya some. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

We've videod a few hunts. Everything from doves, rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, pheasants and deer. Got several deer kills on tape with bow and rifle.

It is tuff to do but very rewarding. The hardest part was deciding who would give up hunting for the day and just operate the camera.

The videos I got were in the late 80's. When ever I watch them I realize how far I have come since those days.

I don't video hunts anymore but just enjoy the hunt without the pressure of trying to get it on tape. It can be frustrating at times and somehow that takes away from the enjoyment a bit. If you can understand.