Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Videoing My Hunts >

Videoing My Hunts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Videoing My Hunts

Old 08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Videoing My Hunts

My hunting buddy and myself wanted to start video taping out bow hunts this year, and I was looking for some advice...

1) Will any video camera work?
2) Is it better for the camera manto be next to me, or take an angle on the shot from somewhere else?
3) Anything else I really need to know?

All suggestions are appreciated!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Videoing My Hunts

I'm no pro when it comes to videoing hunts but I have gotten a few successful hunts on tape. To answer your questions:

1. Most of todays cameras will work fine, however, a camera with a LOW lux factor will pick up better in low light conditions so make sure the camera you choose has a decent zoom, and a low lux factor.

2. I have found that getting in the same tree or one right beside the one the hunter is in works the best. Also, make sure that the camera man is above the hunter. As a rule, we place the cameramans platform about 2 feet above where the hunters head is when he is standing up in his stand.

3. Just remember, you'll have double the movement so make sure your set has ample back cover to hide you guys. You'll also have double the scent to control, so take all the necessary precautions to be as scent free as possible.

Theres nothing like getting a hunt on tape, the memory will last forever. Best of luck to you!!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending what you want to do with your films if its just for you and your buddy to watch most any camera will work, if you are intending to sell or go to the next level with them you have to get a camera withwhat they call 3ccd. Canon GL2 or XL1 or sony pd170 are what most are useing!! Walt
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a PD-170. It's a great camera. It's the best thing going right, for filming hunting video's. Just remember, a good hunting setup (accessories)can be just as expensive as the camera.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's important for the camera man and hunter be in contact with one another. The most important footage is the actual shot be it a miss or hit and if the animal is not right for the camera, the camera man needs to be close enough to communicate that. Usually the same tree or next to another is important.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks!!