Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow tuning

Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default arrow tuning

i noticed that my "cock feather" on a few arrows out of my dozen doesnt exzactly line up with my knock. im shooting a nap quick tune 1000 so the cock feather with a right helical(though i dont think its a HARD helical..maybe just offset..doesnt look like a hard turn to me though..) needs to pass between the prongs. inorder for that to happen and have it clear the prongs id need to adjust my knocks. in my case where the arrows were put by huntersfriend is a sticker saying my arrows have a tuneable knock and i can turn them with a nickle or the like to align them to my settings. i shoot easton epic 400s if that helps you help me. is it true that all i have to do is slightly twist them?? they arent glued in or anything?? i dont need a knock flying off or blowing up when i release. i plan on building my own arrows down the road here..but for this year i want to get the ones i have shooting good. i noticed my first day i had a a wild flyer in my groups every time. i noticed 2 knocks were lined and the flyer wasnt. i found 4 that are perfect and thats what i been shooting the last 2 days..im now down to 3 perfect ones since the robin hood yesterday.

so am i reading that right? just turn the nock with a nickle or something?? there isnt glue in there or anything?? thanx guys
Old 08-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow tuning

Yep spin them where you neede them.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:33 PM

Yepper. Knock the arrow on the string and turn it. Nothing to it.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Mauser... You got the Reflex Highlander, right? How do you like it? I LOVE mine...

The Easton Epic do have tunable nocks, just like my Beman ICS Hunters. You can gently use a nickle or (with strength) use your fingers and carefully turn the nocks.(edit: Or like mobow said, just nock an arrow andturn it on thestring...) They are inserted without glue, but are extremely snug so that they don't fly out on you.

The NAP Quiktune 1000 is another story. I'm becoming slightly dissatisfied with mine. It works well and I get great groups, but I keep getting slight cock vane contact (causing ripples in the cock vane). I've set it, reset it, tuned it, even asked the bow shop, and they said that some rests can be "finicky", and recommended a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone (the ol' sales pitch)....

You will just have to fiddle with your nocks and the cock vane down to find the right position that will work for you. With me (being lefty), I notice the left side of the notch/cutout of the Quiktune 1000 gets a little rub mark from my cock vane after shooting a dozen or so arrows. But yet my rest is set and the centershot is aligned true and dead on.

Good luck with tinkering with the Quiktune 1000...
Old 08-05-2006, 07:43 PM

Yeah, that's one of the problems w/ double prong rests. If you have helical or too much offset, there's almost always vane contact. Not much way around it. Those prongs can only be spread so far.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys! i thought it was that simple by reading it.....just didnt wanna screw up a dozen arrows...well 11 arrows lol. ill tune them all up tomarrow after work.

butcha.....i guess you missed this post.... not to toot my own horn or anything but you can take a look...that was yesterday and my first day shooting the bow..or any bow EVER for that matter! http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1628941

oh ya butch..thanx for the advise...im shooting 4 inch feathers but ill definently keep an eye on it. if my knocks were positioned right i dont think they will hit any at all. though i could be wrong. did you happen to get a "stainless steel competition launcher" free with your rest?? i did..its kinda wierd..its a solid piece of stainless about 1/8th inch thick with a little notch cut into it. i think to shoot that youdput the cock feather up...too narrow for hunting but i just might have to test run it. i do think ill be putting a drop away on next year. maybe even new sights though i dont have a problem with the sights so far. i bought it as a package from hunters friend. i figured the sight and rest would due for this year and they will. but maybe ill upgrade..maybe i wont. a hard helical feathered arrow coming off a drop away would be pretty nice flying i bet!
Old 08-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06
did you happen to get a "stainless steel competition launcher" free with your rest?? i did..its kinda wierd..its a solid piece of stainless about 1/8th inch thick with a little notch cut into it. i think to shoot that youdput the cock feather up...too narrow for hunting but i just might have to test run it.
Yup... That is the "lizard tongue" 3D archery rest that came free with the NAP Quiktune 1000. I still have mine, but don't see a purpose for it with hunting.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i definenintly think it would be tough to get an arrow to stay on it. exspecially in hunting conditions. just curious if you used it. i just might have to try it out for the heck of it one day.