Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow wobble/tuning ?

Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 AM

Default Arrow wobble/tuning ?

Can you get a good group tune /broadhead tune and still have a little porpoising out to 30 yrds ?

I haven't shot in 3-4 weeks and was shooting sunday and could see what looked like some of my arrows kicking right then straighting up on the shot ! I was shooting at 30 yrds and my groups were tight !

Think I was just rusty with my release or torquing ? Or should I re-evaluate my tune ?
Old 04-20-2004, 06:33 AM

Default RE: Arrow wobble/tuning ?

30 yards gives the fletching plenty of time to strighten a slightly off kilter arrow out pretty well. I'd try shooting closer distances again and see where you are.

I had the same thing when I first started. Stacked them up at 20+ but all over the road @10-12-15...5" feathers really work if you give them time
Old 04-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't start worrying about your bow's tune after one day at the range where 'some' arrows had some kick coming off the bow. Bad release, a little torque, some form inconsistency from one shot to the next can cause that.

You might want to number your arrows and take note of the ones that kick. If it winds up being the same arrows each time, then you know there's something wrong with the arrows.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the light, my arrows look they are flying funny. Its the vanes rotating, the cock vane is white and under certain light conditions this makes it look like the arrow ins't flying straight. It is though.

I agree with above, after one day, with consistent groups, I wouldn't sweat it yet. If you really want to know, either paper test, or even better, shoot broadheads, if they are porpoising, you will know.

also, number the arrows, see if the same one(s) are doing the funny flying.

--Bob
Old 04-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the above. Without practicing more often it's possible that your form just isn't consistent. Another thing that comes to mind is that target or field-tipped arrow will group, whether they are tuned or not. They just look ugly getting to the target. There's nothing on the front to help them plane.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:13 AM

Thanks guys !

Sorry if I didn't put enough info. but I was shooting awesome a month or so back ! Broadheads grouped with field points ......not just grouped ! I usually have pretty good form !

Been building a house ........doing all the cabinets and some specialty stuff myself........and finally moved in a week or so ago ! Still unpacking [:'(] !! Just haven't had time to shoot..........normally I shoot several days a week !

Anyway.......after a month of not shooting I still manage 2-3" groups at 30 and 40 yrds ! Pulling that 74 +/- pounds was tougher than expected after a month off !! [8D]

Just messed with my head........I'll shoot some tonight and see what results I get ! My arrows are numbered , so I'll see if any jump out ! I was probably just rusty !!!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some great responses and I tend to agree with them. First off I would not worry about it now but would if it continues a bit. I recently had a similar experience where I was experiencing very poor, and noticeably so, arrow flight yet was experience very good accuracy. It can be the result of a variety of factors. I would try some of the suggestions above as I am sure they will lead to satisfactory results.