Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shed Hunting Tips >

Shed Hunting Tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting Tips

Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 AM

Default RE: Shed Hunting Tips

I found half of a ten pointers rack while hunting this spring. It may have been there for a couple years. The brow tine was completely gone and it was gnawed up some. I just happened to stop and I looked down and there it was at my foot.

I am going in Feb. or March and actually try to find some.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found 2 while bowhunting the year after they were dropped. One was a very nice eight that wasn't too badly gnawed upon. The other was a awesome and massive 10 point or better that was badly chewed up.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

The earliest I found one was in shotgun season (right after Thanksgiving) here in Ohio. It still had some blood on it. As for tips on finding sheds I've read to look at creek and fence crossings where the deer have to jump across. The force from landing helps to jar the antlers loose. Personally, I've found them in some of the thickest/nastiest cover around and then some in my parents back yard. You never can tell exactly where you are going to find them. I'll start looking late Feb-early March.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

The earliest I've ever found one was in February. I know plenty of guys that start walking in January and have found some the 1st or 2nd week in Jan. I've also seen plenty of bucks with only 1 side in Jan as well.

Places I look for them: I LOVE small thickets and woodlots. Brushy fields or brushy water ways that cut out into a field are also hot spots. I usually shed with a guy that finds 40-50 per year (obviously he has more time and goes more often then me) but one thing we don't really walk through is big timber....unless we know the strict patterns of a certain deer. The smaller places seem to be a better bet...especially for a novice shed hunter.