Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shed hunting tips?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shed hunting tips?

i have been shed hunting 3 times now and i still havent found one antler. does anyone have any advice on how to find sheds? and do bucks make rubs to try to get their antlers off as well?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shed hunting tips?

Go to the same areas where you normally see deer in the latefall and early winter.

I've never found any "whoppers", but have found several shedsover the years, usually in thicker areas. My cousin's son that lives near my hunting camp, found both sides of a nice 8 point last week, not far frommy cabin. Would've "made" about an 18" spread. He was of the opinion that they hadn't been on the ground long.

In the parts of PA that I frequent, isn't unusual to stillsee bucks with antlers inMarch. Had three out back last year about this time and only one wasmissing one antler at the time. Other two still had their racks.

Several years ago a friend of mine's kid found both halves of a dandy 10 pt.rack,not far from their house between Mechanicsburg and Carlisle, PA. They were in the brush lot behind their house, maybe 50 yards apart. They would've scored around 120 pts.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Finding sheds is no easy task. First you need buck frequenting the area you will be searching. I have learned from various sources that bedding areas are your best bet. Although this year I found 2 out of three sheds in an open field. One was an alfalfa field and the other was a soybean. So don't overlook fields, plus they are a lot easier to see than in thick bedding areas. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM

There is a pretty good book on shed hunting called "Shed Hunting: A Guide to Finding White-Tailed Deer Antlers." I bought it a year or so ago and there's some pretty good tips. The author's last name is even Shead, and it's pronounced like "shed." It's a how-to book with info on everything from where to look to how to train a dog to find sheds. I pulled it out a couple weeks ago and skimmed through it again. Definitely worth a read. Now he's got a dvd out this year too. You can get them at www.goshedhunting.com