HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shed Hunting Tips (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/124803-shed-hunting-tips.html)

ottertailcountyhunter 12-12-2005 11:55 PM

Shed Hunting Tips

My brother and I are gonna be looking for sheds once the bucks drop their racks...I was wondering if you guys have any tips to aid in finding them?

Bols 12-13-2005 01:18 AM

RE: Shed Hunting Tips

This website might be helpful and it might contain links to other websites, I am not really sure though.

www.shedantlers.net

bighorns35 12-13-2005 06:16 AM

last spring was my first year i really put some effort into shed hunting. i am fortunate enough to have land right behind my house wear the deer group for winter. but i found when looking for sheds,don't look to far in front of yourself. stand in a spot and start at your feet and scan the ground in a semi circle. as you cover the ground with your eyes keep looking farther out,but not to far. seemed to work really well for me last year.

knemohunter 12-13-2005 05:06 PM

How early is the earliest you guys have found sheds?

TeeJay 12-13-2005 05:39 PM

late december

KickerPoint79 12-13-2005 05:49 PM

I have never shed hunted but I think I will try it some
this year. I know you have to beat the squirrels and rabbits to them.
They like to eat them up.

Greg / MO 12-13-2005 08:28 PM

Yeah, I found a real nice one a couple years ago, but it had a big ol' hole gnawed in it already from something... I gave it away; might have added to the character, I guess, but I thought it ruined it. I think nice sheds make awesome decorations on a mantle or bookshelf somewhere.

_Dan 12-13-2005 09:56 PM

Look any place the deer are. Thats the best advice I can give. Bedding and feeding areas are the best. But they can fall off any place.
I find around 75-100 per year and I still haven't figured it out.
What's everyones biggest shed? I have a single side 106 3/8 and a matched set 202 6/8 with no spread, of course.

_Dan 12-13-2005 09:58 PM

I forgot, I already have pics of 1/2 racks and one with both sides gone.

farm hunter 12-13-2005 10:04 PM

One thing that I can say is "you will rarley find a shed - until you look for them specifically"

I mean - don't go turkey hunting in May and expect to find sheds - you probably wont.

When you are looking for shed antlers you have a different mentality. I've found sheds as early as late December, but must I find as the snow melts in March and April around here.

A couple tips:

Deer run when they are scared - and if you can find the closest escape cover to the feeding areas in January - you will find the most sheds there. They get knocked off on the edges of the "cover".

Sure you'll find some in the food source (corn, apple orchards, clearcuts) - also bedding (not many)- but most are found on the Edges of both- at least thats my experience.

FH