Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shed hunting tips? >

shed hunting tips?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shed hunting tips?

Old 03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default shed hunting tips?

I've seen a few posts where people were posting sheds but none on tips for finding them. So is it just as easy as following trails and keeping your eyes peeled? Checking beds, etc...?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shed hunting tips?

I need the answers to this question as well I tried the other day never found a shed but i sure found a lot of sign that i never seen last fall ,it's definetly a good time to be out scouting for next fall. I'll be watching this post as well for tip's .

nubo
Old 03-02-2004, 04:17 PM

i found a few sheds where i live but they all were around trails so i follow trails and where ever deer sign is .... i donno much about this technque either
Old 03-03-2004, 08:12 AM

I find most of mine in green fields that they are using late in the season.. Also the trails that are leading to them... Go right after a rain I have found that is the best time down here... maybe this will help...
Old 03-03-2004, 09:11 AM

My best advise to find em is just get out there.

The more time looking the better your chances - they can be anywhere
Old 03-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't speak for other habitat types but here, shed hunting is work. The more time you can spend the better. Elk and Deer move and hang out in certain areas according to feed availability and comfort this time of year.

Tips I can share would be #1, Put the Time in..hours and hours and hours hiking. Its also a great way to scout for next fall and get in good shape. 2nd, go where the deer are this time of year. #3 you will develop a knack for seeing pieces of antler and not the whole antler. That skill can only comes from practice. Trails and what not are good, but I like feeding areas (thick brushy browsing areas) and bedding areas which are often thick and almost impenetratable at times. Lastly, I like sunny slopes (southern faces). If ya don't find any sheds on a hard day of hiking, don't let it bother ya. Keep at it... keep at it .....you will find a shed if you put the time in.

I also section off pieces of ground and make mental notes of how I am gonna cover it. I often walk in a typewriter pattern..I walk back and forth..and make sure I even over lap a bit incase I may have missed a shed by walking by it...

Good luck, I hope some of this may help out.... finding sheds for me is as rewarding as hunting in many ways. I can best associate it with finding a treasure!
Old 03-04-2004, 03:03 PM

I went shed hunting just the other day around my place and didn't find a thing. Last night, all five mature bucks that I know of were in my front yard - and they all still had their antlers. No wonder I couldn't find anything. So that's my tip: make sure they've dropped their antlers!
Old 03-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Trails, beds, and feeding areas is where you'll find most of them. Anywhere that the bucks spend a lot of time. I know that sounds simple because it is. Like others have said, it takes lots of time and many miles of hiking to find one.

It's kind of like Morel Mushroom hunting.