Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shed Hunting Tips! >

Shed Hunting Tips!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting Tips!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Default Shed Hunting Tips!

Where do you find them?

What are some of your tips?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Shed Hunting Tips!

#1 tip: Get out in the woods and put the work in.

Few other things that help. (all based upon looking in Wisconsin)

If you have snow, get out and see where the trails are, remember where the trails were when the snow goes out.

Check southern exposure areas, specifically areas that are in the sun during the day, places that are relatively warm.

Look for areas where the deer are herding up, areas that are pounded flat due to deer activity. Usually around bedding areas, then back track to where they may be going to feed.

Take a pair of binoculars with, they help to cut down on needing to walk over to ever little thing you see that might look like a shed, but 90% of the time end up being a stick or corn husk or anything but what you are looking for.

If you are looking on the same property year in and year out, keep a log of where you found sheds in previous years, generally where you find them one year, there is a good chance you will find them the following year in the same area.

If you have a shed laying around the house, take it with you, throw it over your shoulder and look for it, it will help you train your eyes to see them (but if you have snow, dont throw it in deep snow or you will be looking for that shed once the snow melts )

Take your time, it isn't a race to see how much ground you can cover, but how well you can look for that elusive bit of bone.

Don't be afraid to look in the same areas multiple times. If you are out looking right now, there is a long period of time that bucks can drop their antlers. I was seeing bucks with antlers into late April last year.

Went out for the first time this year today, spent about 2 1/2 hours today, (pedometer said about 3 1/2 miles of walking) didn't find anything, but did find a lot of sign where I will be checking those areas out again as the year progresses.

My dad did find half of a 4 pointer, after I had to head home and watch the kids.