Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Traps

Old 12-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Antler Traps

Its getting to be that time of the year where bucks start to drop their antlers, atleast around here. I hunt mostly small neighborhood properties, from 5-50 acres and the deer often do not bed/ feed in these properties, so im hunting them to and from these areas. I cant get access to good areas where i would find some sheds, so i was wondering if anyone can post some pictures of shed traps. I have heard about using bails of hay, but have also heard of other typs of traps but have never seen one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM

Default RE: Antler Traps

Around here we use a box spring works good just throw some corn in there and there yea go. Legal? Not sure
Old 12-14-2005, 10:29 AM

There's differing opinions (big surprise ) on here about antler traps. Some feel it presents too great of a risk in injurying a buck whose antlers aren't ready to drop yet and ends upgetting tangled up in it.

I posted the same question here several years ago and got many replies of, "Try doing it the old fashion way" and, "Improve your woodsmanship and find where they are", etc. etc. I took some of it to heart and now, if and when I try to manage where they fall, I simply put my corn in the middle of a thick stand of dogwood saplings I have on my property. The deer have to weave their way through the saplings forabout 15' or so,so if a buck has an antler that's ready to fall he's bound to hit it on one or more of the saplings before getting to the corn. I don't know for sure if they have as much of a chance of getting tangled in the saplings or not, but I would guess not.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someone had a good idea on this (i forget who) but they put corn under a picnic table. Thebuck's bound to hit the bottom of the table with his horns and really can'thurt them. Thought it sounded like a good one.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:05 PM

Ive made them for a few years, but I havent had as much success as I thought I might, but it has worked for a couple sheds. I drive 2 or 3 fence posts about 18 inches or 2 feet apart, sometimes in a W shape or V. Then I stretch a couple rubber bungee cords between the posts. I dont stretch them real tight, just where they arent hanging loose.Then pour a little corn under it. If a buck isnt ready to lose his horns, and they get caught in the straps, it just pops the strap loose, and hes free. The straps will come off the post, or break with a good pull, but if the antler is loose, it will come off. I think the deer dont like the smell of the rubber or something. I have even put the post out early so they are used to them, but when the bungees are put on, the deer dont come to it nearly as often.