Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Estrous urine scaring deer >

Estrous urine scaring deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Estrous urine scaring deer

Old 11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Estrous urine scaring deer

Up until about 4 or 5 years ago, I always used an estrous urine during the rut to help attract bucks to my location. I had pretty good results with the brands I used and shot several bucks with their nose right on the cannister (before I learned to suspend the cannister). This year, I decided to pick up some estrous urine again to lure a few of the big boys to my location.

I used the same cannisters I've used before and placed clean cotton balls inside "shishkabobed" on a toothpick (new idea I was trying). I soaked the tops of the cotton balls and used them every day last week in multiple locations. I also used a spray atomizer to apply a bit more to some bushes adjacent to the scent bombs. I used enough, but did NOT overdo the scent anywhere I hunted.

Most deer avoided the area. The ones that did come in got very spooky when they picked up the scent and left quickly. After about 5 days of this, I stopped using it and the deer relaxed again and started coming back in.

I KNOW what the estrous urine usually smells like. This stuff actually smelled like rancid cow manure. It was made by one of the brands we all know, but I guess I got taken this time. No deer were taken while using it.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Default RE: Estrous urine scaring deer

You should share the brand and type of extrous you used to warn other hunters about this occurance. The deer have never been scared of the scents I put out.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:18 PM

I had a similar experience a few years back with Wildlife Reasearch Centers Golden Estrous, what scent did you have out ? Estrous scent will alarm fawns and does not in estrous at times but obviosly should not have that effect on bucks.
Best wishes
BD
Old 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't going to name it, but I went to their site to inform them and their "contact us" link doesn't work.

Sooo . . .

It's Hunter's Specialties Estrous urine.

I've never experienced problems with deer being scared away by my attractants!!!!! I won't be buying any of Hunter's Specialites scents again
Old 11-14-2005, 07:24 PM

I had the opposite happen to me. I bought both HS and Tinks 69. The HS was fine, and didn't seem to spook any deer. However when I used the Tinks, they were gone. I'm just not going to use anymore estrous.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

i hunt public land and i've had deer pratically jump out of their skin when they caught a wiff of estrous scent. i always buy cheep stuff. Knight-n-Hall, buck fever synthetic, active scrape and i believe i bought browning scent this year to. public land deer i think are way more causous of everything due to pressure. I also think the older deer are harder to reel in, youngins just fly into the area it seems. but as the season gets later i think older bucks get a little more relaxed. it's cold, there moving alot more, theres less hunters cause of the weather or they've already tagged a deer. estrous scent is a two edged sword. i sometmes look at all the gizzmos we use today to bag deer and think they got to be getting smarter about this stuff. i remember and old timer, think it was on this site, saying how back in the day a deer almost never looked up into a tree. now a days deer seem to always be scanning the canopy because they know death comes from above. but i'll still buy scent, still hang it and hope, stillspray scrapes to keepthem active and deer in area.

THE FOOT
Old 11-14-2005, 08:09 PM

I've used two scents this year, Trail's End #307 and Tinks 69. Absolutely no deer have been attracted to either of them. I've had a couple does, and a couple of bucks walk past my stand, with the scented cotton balls posted in the area, and all of the deer just walked by, nibbled at the ground a couple times, and then kept on walking. They weren't scared by the scents, but they didn't weren't the least bit attracted by them either.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

I used Tink this year, and in the past, and never had any luck with it. Had several small bucks in the area down wind and they didn't seem to notice itor give any indication.