Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scaring deer

Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Scaring deer

Whin i am going out to my stand in the morning no matter how hard i try not to i end up scaring a deer almost all the time

any idea on what to do
Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scaring deer

Try and pick a route that will not take you through the area where you are spooking the deer. It's not always the easiest or shortest route but you have to avoid letting them know you're there.

In the morning they will be coming from feeding areas to bedding areas and vice versa in the evening. So play the wind and have alternate stands if the wind isn't right.

There is still always a chance of spooking a deer. They do not read the "rules" but if it's a consistant place where you are jumping them you have to change tactics.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck I try to scar one every time I go out!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I found in my herd......that the deer were staging just inside the woods and bedding there......before heading into their core bedding area, afer daylight. The ONLY way I can get in there undetected.....and without bumping them all.....is to beat them home. I gotta go EARLY. I was on stand a GOOD 2 hrs before first shooting light on Saturday. 2.5 hrs before sunrise.

Trial and error taught me that. MOSTLY error.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey steve,

This is ethan,and i think that you should try going in on the other side of you property on joess our the other guys to get around them with out scaring them.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Move your corn pile!!!LOL
Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even if he does where he hunts it will still scare them. Steve you need to sneak in on the property behind you then come in from the back side. if you can you need to come in earlier to becuase then if you do scare them you have a better chance of seeing them again.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: rednecksteve

Whin i am going out to my stand in the morning no matter how hard i try not to i end up scaring a deer almost all the time

any idea on what to do
get there in pitch dark, doesnt have to be an 1hr before shooting light, just make sure you are in your stand before the sun starts to light up the horizon. also try to figure out where the deer are bedding, get to your stand while staying as far away from their bedding area as possible.

one last thing, take your time getting to your stand.