Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 human scent scaring deer? >

human scent scaring deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

human scent scaring deer?

Old 04-14-2004, 03:20 PM

Default human scent scaring deer?

i've been out to my spot a couple times in the last week to start doing maintenance on my stand and setting up mineral blocks. my camera is out there and after 6 days, no pics. were taken, and the trail its on, which is usually heavily used, has no fesh tracks, but abou 30 yards north there is a fresh trail where i have never really walked before. we have had no rain so i think that my scent might be scaring away the deer and making them change course, could this be permanent?
Old 04-14-2004, 03:24 PM

Default RE: human scent scaring deer?

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS CHANGE YOUR ROUTE EVERY TIME YOU GO OUT THERE. THE DEER ARE DEFINATELY SMELLING YOU WHEN YOU GO OUT. THE KEY IS THAT YOU NEED TO STAY OUT OF THE AREA ABOUT 2 TO 4 WEEKS BEFORE OPENING DAY SO THAT THEY CAN GET BACK INTO A ROUTINE.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry too much about spooking the deer this time of year. It will put a crimp in the picture taking. You might want to try locating it somewhere else. If you have to go out within a month of the opener I would suggest planning it before a rain. Or else making it as quick as possible and wearing head to toe scent lok.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that if it was human scent scaring the deer, they would change their habits more than 30 yrds.! I'd guess there is some other reason that they are using the other trail more. They tend to use the easiest route, so maybe something has changed on the old trail that has made them change routes.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:58 PM

First time in for me is always my best hunt. After I try hunting the spot more than once I feel that my chances decrease, and this always seems to hold true. The more times you spend in a giving area the mature whitetail is going to catch on to your scent and relocate or change his patterns.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the answer for you. i have been out to my stands in new joisey and putting out the minerals for 6 weeks now. im checking each lick and i have some areas 7 miles apart from each other and have only seen one set of small tracks in one of my licks. some of the strips and feather grass fields in my game lands have been controlled burned off and the first green sprouts are coming up. in all of those fields i walked out to i saw well over 30 deer in each. they are still herded up and when they leave the field after seeing me they leave in single file. i think there still kinda in winter survival mode and are trying to eat as much green stuff as possible before breaking off to have the fawns. give them another month and i think youll get some pictures. im gonna wait to put up my cameras till the middle august when the bucks will have there new horns and re-fresh my licks. i will leave them out for a week or 2 then pull them out to let things settle down for the end of september bow season.