Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling all FOC experts??? >

Calling all FOC experts???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling all FOC experts???

Old 10-20-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Calling all FOC experts???

I'm shooting Nap Spitfire mechanical broadheads with Goldtip XT arrows. I have two options and speed isn't my main concern.

Option one I get a 8.86% FOC

Option two I get a 10.82% FOC

I understand that the 10.82% has more tip weight, so that brings a concern with drop in trajectory. On the other hand the 8.86% may not have enough tip weight to substain stable arrow flight.

So my question is...If Ihave my arrows and bow correctly tuned and all other accuracy factors were the best they could be,in theory what option would you choose for the flatest trajectory/best accuracy. Need to know before I purchase my arrows and broadheads. Please keep in mind I'm shooting mechanical broadheadsnot fixed blade broadheads.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling all FOC experts???

Regardless of BH's the 10 whatever FOC is definitely a better option. It will provide better and more consistent arrow flight which in turn will provide better penetration.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:58 AM

Yep, you definately want your FOC atleast 10%. Most "experts" recommend an FOC between 10%-15% for broadheads. I've found you don't really start losing much yardage until you get up close to 15%. All this being said, my current setup balances at 11.5% FOC and for me personally I wouldn't want it any lower than that.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Higher FOC usually makes for better, more forgiving arrow flight and easier tuning. So, I always opt for the higher FOC, myself.

I understand that the 10.82% has more tip weight, so that brings a concern with drop in trajectory
If you intend to be shooting in excess of 60 yards then that might be the case. Not necessarily though. The higher FOC will help keep the tip pointing forward, helping the fletching keep arrow flight stable. If the lower FOC doesn't do enough to stabilize the arrow, to the point where the tip is yawing during flight, itwould cause the arrow to lose trajectory to a far greater degree than an arrow with the higher FOC.

Really though, unless the yawing is severe,trajectory lossonly begins showing up on longer distance shots. Of course, if the arrow hits the deerwhile the arrow is in a yaw attitude, it's not going topenetrate very well.

But that's just what COULD happen with a light FOC. It's just to illustrate what happens with FOC's that are too light. The yaw is caused by the tail end trying to swap ends with the leading end. I seriously doubt that you'll have a problem at not quite9% FOC with mechanicals. If it was fixed blades we were talking about shooting at under 9%, I'd be summoning the medicine man tochase off the evil spiritsthat are plaguing you. [8D]

Between the two FOC's you show, the difference in trajectory will be inconsequential over typical hunting yardages. Again, I'd choose the heavier one - assuming I've bought arrows in the proper spine range for the heavier tip. As always, accuracy and consistency are far and away more important than trajectory.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

You want to be within 10 to 15 percent FOC.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took an Easton Arrow Class and I ask the same question. The Instructor won a gold medal in the Olympics. I can not remember his name, but he was the guy who missed a nice buck on Monster Bucks with realtree. I think it was 2 or 3. He said and I Quote "F.O.C mean Fricken Over Complicated" He used a different word. Who knows I like 10% and 15% I fond his comment intersting.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP... for hunting go heavy. I'm around 13 percent.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:17 AM

Great responses andvery detailed answers from all of you. Arthur thanks for taking the extra time to give an example and explain further. I will take the 10% for sure.

Best Regards
Old 10-21-2005, 10:47 AM

I would say with mechanicals it probably isn't a huge deal, but I would still opt for the heavier tip if it spined good.

With the spitfires I think you will want the extra momentum you would get from the heavier tip, and they will stabilize better as well.

Paul