HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling all FOC experts???
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Calling all FOC experts???

Higher FOC usually makes for better, more forgiving arrow flight and easier tuning. So, I always opt for the higher FOC, myself.

I understand that the 10.82% has more tip weight, so that brings a concern with drop in trajectory
If you intend to be shooting in excess of 60 yards then that might be the case. Not necessarily though. The higher FOC will help keep the tip pointing forward, helping the fletching keep arrow flight stable. If the lower FOC doesn't do enough to stabilize the arrow, to the point where the tip is yawing during flight, itwould cause the arrow to lose trajectory to a far greater degree than an arrow with the higher FOC.

Really though, unless the yawing is severe,trajectory lossonly begins showing up on longer distance shots. Of course, if the arrow hits the deerwhile the arrow is in a yaw attitude, it's not going topenetrate very well.

But that's just what COULD happen with a light FOC. It's just to illustrate what happens with FOC's that are too light. The yaw is caused by the tail end trying to swap ends with the leading end. I seriously doubt that you'll have a problem at not quite9% FOC with mechanicals. If it was fixed blades we were talking about shooting at under 9%, I'd be summoning the medicine man tochase off the evil spiritsthat are plaguing you. [8D]

Between the two FOC's you show, the difference in trajectory will be inconsequential over typical hunting yardages. Again, I'd choose the heavier one - assuming I've bought arrows in the proper spine range for the heavier tip. As always, accuracy and consistency are far and away more important than trajectory.