Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calling the scrape experts

Old 10-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Calling the scrape experts

Alright give me your take on this (I know mine). I have a small property I'm bow hunting it's like maybe 10 acres total with a beater house in there. The property runs NE/SW.A long drive bends uphill to the house from the SW thru woods to the house. That probobly burns up say 3-4 acres. The house/yard is another acre. The backyard is kinda/pretty overgrown and there is a main trail leading to the NE into the woods.

Yesterday (3:30 pm) I head to mystand about 30-40 yards into the woods. Right at the transistion from yard to woods there are 6 scrapes. 2 had wet spots in them, and I found 2 more in the area.

I went the small distance to my stand and made a mock scrape and hung a dripper over it.

I have never seen that many scrapes in one small area. I know there are great bucks there but the size of these scrapes varied from small tolarge.

Questions.

1. Why so many in one area?

2.Do you think my dripper will bring them around the corner to my shooting area?

3. Should I go ahead and pop another stand in the backyard closer to the scrapes? Theres a great tree with lots of leaves/cover about 15 feet up that would do great and it's not a problemto be in the yard by the house.

I'm pumped and will probobly be out there tomorrow EARLY in the existing stand. I saw4 does in there yesterdaya bit before dark, well withing shooting time. I was hoping some antlers would be following - but they weren't.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Calling the scrape experts

Questions.

Multiple deer perhaps?

2. Do you think my dripper will bring them around the corner to my shooting area?
That depends what you put in it and whether or not the new "scrape" spooks them. Being curious by nature they'll certainly check out you dripper, but odds are it won't be in daylight until you start using estrous pee or buck pee.

3. Should I go ahead and pop another stand in the backyard closer to the scrapes? Theres a great tree with lots of leaves/cover about 15 feet up that would do great and it's not a problem to be in the yard by the house.
I'd just move the existing stand closer to the treeline, the property is kind of small for adding a second "strange object". I hunt mostly on my ten acre wooded property, and it's real easy to bump them off pattern unless I'm very careful. It's also easy to "burn out" a small property.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Questions.

Multiple deer perhaps?

2. Do you think my dripper will bring them around the corner to my shooting area?
That depends what you put in it and whether or not the new "scrape" spooks them. Being curious by nature they'll certainly check out you dripper, but odds are it won't be in daylight until you start using estrous pee or buck pee.

3. Should I go ahead and pop another stand in the backyard closer to the scrapes? Theres a great tree with lots of leaves/cover about 15 feet up that would do great and it's not a problem to be in the yard by the house.
I'd just move the existing stand closer to the treeline, the property is kind of small for adding a second "strange object". I hunt mostly on my ten acre wooded property, and it's real easy to bump them off pattern unless I'm very careful. It's also easy to "burn out" a small property.
x2 but i'm gonna add some. i'd put the scrape dripper over one of the scrapes made by a buck. i would also piss in a couple of the scrapes when you finish your morning/afternoon hunt (no joke, it works). the bucks will paw out your urine smell and fresh'n up the scrape themselves.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's it for replies? Thanx! (I think)
Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bucks make scrapes so the does will leave their "calling card", this helps the bucks tell "who's hot"...

Bucks are in the woods every day, they know where the does are, thus they know where to make the scrapes for the most traffic....

Knowing this....Why make a "mock" scrape??? Hunt the ones that are there...
It's like calling turkeys...It's a lot easier to call him where he wants to go....