Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Damn feet

Old 10-17-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Damn feet

Went hunting this morning and absolutely had to leave at 9:30. My feet were freezing. Heres the thing, it was 45 degrees. I had some new Under Armour boot socks on and my Irish Setter rubber boots. My feet always drive me out the woods but 45 degrees is ridiculous. I posted something before about my feet freezing and read some good tips. I didnt lace my boots tight and I thought those socks would be good for this time of year anyway. Does anyone elses feet get cold in not so cold weather?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Spike

Default RE: Damn feet

My feet tend to be the things that get cold the fastest and in what most people would call fairly warm weather (40 degrees +). Over the years I've simply learned to rely on toe warmers. The adhesive kind that you stick on the ball of your feet. For $1 a set or whatever they are, they are the best option I can find. Getting away from any type of a cotton sock and using nylon socks as the first layer has always helped. I guess I look at it this way, I could either sit there and say my feet "should" stay warm with certain boots/socks or I can just put the footwarmers in and know they will stay warm.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know if the socks are different from other underarmour clothing, but I found while they kept the sweat away they didn't keep me warm at all while sitting on stand.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:00 PM

If your feet are getting cold in "not-so-cold" weather, you probably have some sort of circulatory issues. If so, I wouldn't think Under Armor would be good to wear at all because it works on compression, and that would further constrict the blood flow. I would definitely go with the toe warmers or layer 2 -3 pairs: nylon, poly-cotton, wool. You could also try wearing some pac boots.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

boot blankets work best 4 me
Old 10-17-2005, 01:00 PM

Toe Warmers work the best and don't wear any cotton socks. I usually use the toe warmers and I pair of Patagonia Expedition Weight Socks.

I also just realized my 800 gram Lacrosse boots keep me much warmer than my 1000 gram rocky boots. Don't know why but I will be wearing Lacrosse boots for a long time.

Also,

Change your socks after you arrive in the woods and cool off a little, and do exercises with your toes throughout the day. Amazing how much warm blood gets pumping with just a few toes lifts.

You can alos train yourself to block out the discomfort.

Good luck and keep this thread going.

signed,

Fellow frozen toes

Old 10-17-2005, 01:41 PM

yup....change socks once you get to your stand. You'd be suprised the sweat you create going to the stand....once changed out your good to go for the day.

And use a base layer that will wick moisture away from your body....

B.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:24 PM

Those are all some good ideas that I will start to try starting in the morning. Sometimes my feet get cold in my apt. when its like 68 degrees. It sucks having your feet getting cold alot.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Warm hat and a neck warmer. Keep your head and neck warm and you'll be amazed at howlong it keeps your feet and hands from getting cold.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 PM

when wal-mart has there hand and feet warmers on sale at the end of turkey season, I buy all they have left. they put them on sale at or below 1/2 price.some times if I take them all they do even better than that.

my buddys say I am the only person that can jew wal-mart.[][8D][&:]

"Jew wal-mart" nothing ment by that , just an expression that has been around longer than me. and thats a long time. "Sorry"

Quick Reply: Damn feet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.