Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot? >

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Old 07-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Never saw a need to take a neck shot myself. I've taken right at 80 whitetails with a bow and never really had to take that shot. If he's head on he's got to turn to get away or pass by giving me a quartering away or something better. AND.... sometimes you just don't get a shot. There are other days.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

I wasn't going to reply after altas's little holier than thou speech, but here goes. Have you ever lost a deer you hit with an arrow atlas? I know I haven't, but that doesn't matter because YOU don't agree with a shot I took. It's a mind over matter thing....I don't mind that your opinion doesn't matter to me. The "I probably wouldn't do it again" thing you wanted to quote so bad comes from the fact that I am very confident in my abilities with a bow, and I hope I never have to make that decision again, but maybe we should see how much you want to flame for this one first. I shoot all year as I like to stay sharp, but I know not everybody does and to each their own. I still have my integrity because I'm not afraid of taking heat for a decision I made in the woods, and I'm not afraid to talk about it. If nothing else; my posts have always been honest regardless of the flames that will come after. I'm done with this topic, and to all here; good luck this season.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

So do carbon arrows with special tips pass through shoulders? Or is this a bunch of crap.

Can someone post a picture of the various stances (quarter away, quater too, etc) with associated kill zones?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

RattleSnake1

I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way! I truly do admire your honesty , and I also truly agree , that if faced with the real life scenario (biggest buck ever) , each of us can only truly answer what would happen , after it happened. For me , it hasn't happened yet so I truly dont know if I have the discipline it takes to let it walk if I were put in your situation.

. I'm done with this topic, and to all here; good luck this season.
Don't be done so quick!Where are ya from in Wisconsin?
Good luck to you also!
Old 07-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

I have a confession to make - I'm addicted to hunting videos. Every week I make a pilgrimage up to the Bass Pro Shops and always manage to come home with a new DVD to watch.
I've got a few Primos videos and I don't have any real complaint with their content but I'm just fed up with seeing hunting turned in to an "industry" full of people who's real calling seems to be acting or a lawyer or something slimey.

I cancelled the out door channel and every magazine I'm not a life member to. I'd like to see about half the "industry" or more go bankrupt and disappear.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

On the topic of neck shots, this board alone will have had at least a dozen "hit a stick" and "jumped the string" and "Don't know what happened" threads whining and crying croc tears over wounded and lost deer by November. Many will be trophy once in a lifetime animals wasted because of slobs taking bad shots.

If you'd take that shot at a target the size of your kill zone, no more,at home in front of a brick wall with the same expensive broad heads and arrows go for it.

In fact just take a little practice session one evening in front of a pile of rocks instead of dirt or hay to back up the target.

You'll get a lot more realistic idea of your abilities in a hunting situation real quick.

If you wouldn't shoot that shot at a styrafoam deer at home on the range in front of a pile of rocks, ALL DAY LONG, you don't have any business taking it at a living, alert, trophy game animal.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

ORIGINAL: nodog

The neck shot does seem to be affective by the count here.
As an example last year my father hit a beautiful buck in the neck after his arrow hit an unseen twig and we ended up recovering the deer over a mile away and a month later after it had been eaten by coyotes and gone to waste.
Well there's another one against.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: RattleSnake1

I wasn't going to reply after altas's little holier than thou speech, but here goes.
There you go again saying you won't do something........then doing it Just messin' with ya man. Don't take things so seriously.......I wasn't flaming your post as much as I was saying it just reads very strangely. You start off preaching the cons of a neck shot..........but then say you took one simply because you couldn't hold your bow any longer (A reason I doubt many would classify as "good".......if there is such a thing.) Then you finish by saying you "probably" won't do it again. It's just a mass of contradiction that's all. Nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Have you ever lost a deer you hit with an arrow atlas?
No.

I know I haven't, but that doesn't matter because YOU don't agree with a shot I took.
You're right........it doesn't matter that your neck shot killed a deer quickly. That will NEVER make that a high percentage shot that should be taken. Femoral artery will drop 'em as fast as can be too............do you think that is a good shot to take?

Hey........you manned up and admitted you took a poor shot but fortunately it turned out well. That's great..........but it's still a poor shot.

It's a mind over matter thing....I don't mind that your opinion doesn't matter to me.
Very original

The "I probably wouldn't do it again" thing you wanted to quote so bad comes from the fact that I am very confident in my abilities with a bow
You think you are the only guy on this board that can hit the neck of his 3D target with an arrow?? I shoot mine in the eye when I get bored............doesn't mean I would ever think about doing it in the woods.

I hope I never have to make that decision again......................I still have my integrity because I'm not afraid of taking heat for a decision I made in the woods, and I'm not afraid to talk about it. If nothing else; my posts have always been honest regardless of the flames that will come after.
Your honesty has been comended already........and I second that. You were man enough to admit it...........now just be man enough to understand that posting that you took a neck shot on a deer with a bow (because your arm was tired) in a big hunting forum might not draw 100% pats on the back.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Bowfanatic; I'm from southcentral WI....near the Wisconsin Dells area.

Atlas....no worries. I'm over it.