Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Neck Shot Deer ? >

Neck Shot Deer ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shot Deer ?

Old 10-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Neck Shot Deer ?

Does anyone here have data to support why you shouldn't shoot deer in the neck with a bow?

I have a buddy that is convinced that this is a good spot to shoot a deer and I don't think I'll be able to hunt with him anymore if he claims that he would do it again.

So I'm hoping I can show him some data that will change is mind. Yes he took one last weekend in such fashion and it dropped right away so it isn't helping the cause.

Tom
Old 10-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Neck Shot Deer ?

I'm just afraid it would wound the deer. More comfortable with larger targets.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM

I don't prefer to shoot a deer in the neck. There are too many possiblities only a wounded deer. However, If the shot hits the correct spot on the neck, you will have the most beautiful blood trail you have ever seen. Just last year, I made a bad shot on a deer that hit the neck (I have since changed bows). It just so happened that I hit the perfect spot because the deer ran about 25 to 30 yards into some brush and fell without moving again. The blood trail was not just a drop or two of blood, It was squirting out with each step the deer took.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would prefer hunting with someone who makes neck shots only because they have a good chance of completly missing and pushing the deer to me, but if he hits the neck, those veins will pump alot of blood out.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

They bleed like crazy. But It is too easy to miss something vital ( juglar, spine)

Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

I dont have any statistical data, only first hand...ten yard shot hit right in the middle of the neck probably 10 inches away from where the neck meets the body, I thought she was going to be dead within 50 yards...never found her, although we did jump her once or twice the next day...

All I can say is...

Never Again!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would never, but my cousin shoots all deer that are looking at him in the white patch of he neck. Has never lost one, but I would never do it.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guy at work shot one in the neck yesterday. He tracked it for 6 hours. The blood trail was okay at first and then it dried up. Never found the deer. He looked everywhere.

He was driving home from work today and found the same deer dead on the edge of the cornfield by the road. It was over a mile from where he shot it.

Neck shot deer can die quickly or slowly or not at all. It depends on if you hit the carotid artery or jugular vein. That's a pretty small target within the neck area. The lungs are a much bigger target.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a *wounded* deer last year in the neck just because I was tracking it and looked up and saw him 20 yards away bedded looking at me. I was in a very thick field and had a little opening on his white patch. I hit him there and he didnt move again.

I wouldnt ever shoot one a healthy deer with a bow there though. Have shot some with a gun, butwont ever with a bow.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:07 PM

I did the same thing Illinoishunter on the buck in my avatar. Everything within 20 feet of that deer after that shot was painted red.

My first bowkill ever (15 years old) was shot in the neck (deers fault). He jumped the string at 15 yards and moved his neck right into the path. It slit his neck open with about a 12 inch gash (due to the trajectory) Had a great blood trail, but he ran 200 yards.

I would NEVER aim at the neck for my initial shot, EVER. In the 3o deer I have taken with archery equipment, I've to this day not been able to take a deer because of a bad angle. I know it will happen one day, and I will pass the poor shot angle. Not only because it's not right to take a greedy shot, but because I wouldn't want to take the shot knowing I'll only have a 50/50 shot of finding it.

Quick Reply: Neck Shot Deer ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.