Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot? >

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Old 07-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

I don't like shot's like that myself ,and I agree that it's not ethical,but then again who am I to say it's not ethical ,these guy's are obviously making movie's for some reason and I'm not .

nubo
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Default RE: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Hey I wouldn't even consider the arse shot you put on that big ole doe. That's your fettish.
#1 The key difference you are missing is that I was not trying to hit her in the hams. Maybe she took a step, maybe I made a bad shot (it was open sights) who knows?? Point being that it was accidental........things like that are gonna happen if you hunt long enough.......any hunter knows that. I made the best of a bad situation.........you on the other hand are advising taking a bad shot on purpose and just hoping for luck to take over. Very dumb. Exercise some patience and wait for a good shot......if you don't get one chalk it up to experience and shoot the next one.

#2 It's fetish..............I hope you shoot better then you spell or you just might hit one in the arse when your trying for that neck shot

Why not take a Texas Heart Shot if he doesn't offer you something as tempting as a neck????
Old 07-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never have thought about a neck shot with Archery equipment. I can't imagine it's a high success shot.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

They are making movies because of there disipline and patience and have oppertunity to hunt where monsters live. Think about it anyone of us can do what they do. If somebody put me on a big buck and I shot it, I would give that person some praise and say especially if the person charges to hunt there land that I had a great hunt and that monster live there , which in turn makes them money, sorry about going off like that I had an oppertunity with one of those companies to do what those guys do on TV, but it's not what it's cracked up to be, still bitter about it. Not all roses if you know what I mean. As for this thread, It bothers me that people think like that. What a discrace. Somebody needs to instill some respect in that yahoo for the game he chases.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea it's called a spine.
And the throat. Just throwing out some info to help in shot placement if you do feel the need to let one fly in that direction. If your going to take it, best to make it the best shot you can. You could set up a model and see if you are able to make the shot. It will drop like a rock if your shot is true and that"s a good thing, might be a poor trade off for a low percentage shot though. Many people take low percentage shots some here have admitted it, a deflected shot is a low percentage shot. Not knowing what's infront of the shot is a low percentage shot and ignorance is an admission of guilt. The percentages of seeing a monster are just as low. If your going to take it, make it the best you can, but it is tough to live with if you don't. Might not be worth it, but that's up to each individual and they must be willing to accept the consequences, what ever they maybe. I see a little small voice has already, from experience, come out a gin it, worth keeping in the back of your mind. Hope you have a good season.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forums like this are great for folks like me who are just getting into bow hunting. I would have thought that a neck shot would have been good with a bow. The majority ofmy deer killed with a rifle, I have taken with shots to the neck. So I would have thought that it translates.

I would like to get a concensus on quarter to, and a heart shot. Which of these would you take? If it is a maybe situation then how would you take them?

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off I'm from Texas . Lived here all my life and hunted almost as long, 39years old.
Next we do not condone shooting deer up the bunghole, dont know where the Texas Heart Shot thing came from but nobody down here does that. Seems like all the ones doing it are from up north. I think we should call a Yanky doo doo dandy shot.
LOL.
Second we do shoot deer in the neck, with rifles ,not with archery. A rifle neck shot should be held to under 100 yds though, with a good rest like a blind or hunting house as some of you call it, we use feeders here so the deer are usually feeding which make neck shots easier. Bucks rattled in offer great neck shots as they are usually staring straight at you at around 75 yds.
I know some of you despise us using deer feeders but the truth is I have never killed a buck at a feeder, I have had way more luck rattling them in which is cheating if you ask.
me. I wouldnt advise anyone to take anything different than a broadside vitals shot with as bow, I wont even shoot quartering. Broadside always, if he doesnt present that shot to me, no matter what, oh well , see him another day.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nodog, I appreaciate your civil response. It appears being honest on this forum doesn,t pay. Lou lou or what ever your handel is, I have never taken a neck shot in my life, never needed to. I just posted that I would consider it for a trophy of a life time if all he presented was his neck. I practice the shot all of the time just in case. I take alot of time to prepair my shooting lanes and hang my stands where I won,t even have to conisider your alls so called unethical shot. Now I will take my toys and go on to another post, I,m done with this one. I promise I will never take that arse shot that Atlas boy enjoys.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 PM

I promise I will never take that arse shot that Atlas boy enjoys.
Why not?? It is just as likely to end up in a kill if you get lucky enough to hit the femoral artery.............same luck you're banking on taking a neck shot.

Your repeated implication that I took the ham shot on that doe on purpose even though it has been explained to you multiple times that I did not..........only shows that you know you are wrong and just trying to deflect the heat your poor ethics has brought on you.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

I can honestly say I don't like the idea of a neck shot simply because of it's not only a lower percentage shot than a double lung, AND the high risk of loosing a deer to it. I unfortunately though can't say that I'd never do it. Last season, it came down to a shot in the neck when the buck stopped just as entering my shooting lane. I held on for as long as I could, but eventually he stood there longer than I could hold the back. I took careful aim at the center of neck and pulled the trigger on the release. The arrow hit with a resounding crack and dropped him in his tracks. The arrow not only broke his neck but also severed the main artery as you can see in the pic.
Let me repeat myself, I don't like the idea of it, and would probably never do it again, but like others have said in this thread; it's easy to be an armchair quarterback until faced with the situation that puts you there.
With all that being said; I'd like to know how many here have noticed the number of ppl in those videos shooting deer in the shoulder blade? I even know a couple guys that do it ON PURPOSE because they believe the new technology of carbon arrows, broadheads, and bow power won't let them down. Any feelings on this one?

Quick Reply: Since when did shooting a deer in the neck become an acceptable shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.