Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Neck shot

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Spike

Default Neck shot

I had been a gun slug neckshot successfully if nessecary such as branches and twigs taken over in vital area ...Is itsuitable to shootits neck ( whitetails) with 50 cal. 250 grain shockwave and gold dot speer if vital area is blocked ?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neck shot

WiseWood

There has been a lot of animals dropped with neck shots... If that is the shot you have and you ave the confidence to make that shot I know the Speer will do it and I am quite sure the SW will also... The neck shot does not leave much room for error so get a good solid one.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Like Sabotloader said.. the neck shot leaves very little room for error. If you are sure of your rifle and your ability, then a neck shot can be made. Neck shots will plant them fast. I use a neck shot as the last resort. I always do like the high percentage shots. But still, if it is all I have, and I am sure I can make the shot. Then I have a decision to make.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

i will take a neck shot if the deer is within75 yards of meand i have a good rest.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

I've always considered the neck shot a marginal shot and to be taken only if you know exactly where your gun shoots. I was elk hunting for cows last month in NM and had stalked to within 50 yards of a herd of cows bedded down and I had one cow that presented me with an unobstructed shot at that range and didn't take it even though I had been shooting less than 1 inch at that distance. I didn't shootonly because I wasn't sure of the perfect shot and didn't want to wound or have to trail and injured cow through the mountain side. I waited 45 mins and at 3:16 in the afternoon the herd all stood up and I took the biggest cow at 52 yards with a perfect broadside shot and she went 20 yards and collapsed. It was every bit worth the wait. Now don't get me wrong...on three different occasions I started to take the shot and at the last minute pulled back for a better shot even though I knew exactly where my gun would shoot. In my opinion it was worth the wait and I had all the time in the world to take my shot.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Use to be all I would take is a Neck or Head shot.Until I shot the Lower Jaw off a Deer,I trail him and still got him.So anymore its Lung Heart area,unless I have no other shot than Neck or Head.

big rockpile
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bread and butter behind the shoulder is where I go every time.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

It all depends on how confident you are in your ability to make an accurate shot.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WiseWood

I had been a gun slug neckshot successfully if nessecary such as branches and twigs taken over in vital area ...Is itsuitable to shootits neck ( whitetails) with 50 cal. 250 grain shockwave and gold dot speer if vital area is blocked ?
I have seen a couple of "wheesing" deer running away after a neck shot, not by me, but by others. I have never taken that shot, I do not consider it a good shot. I consider where the neck join the body an excellent shot, but not the thin part of the neck, you must hit the neck bone to put it down and that is pretty small. Chap Gleason
Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: WiseWood

I have seen a couple of "wheesing" deer running away after a neck shot, not by me, but by others. I have never taken that shot, I do not consider it a good shot. I consider where the neck join the body an excellent shot, but not the thin part of the neck, you must hit the neck bone to put it down and that is pretty small. Chap Gleason
I see and hear this conversation/question a lot and I think a lot the disagreement is based on different opinions on what a "neck shot" really is. I consider a "neck shot" to be right where the neck joins the body. I think most would agree that's a better shot than a neck shot at the base of the head. Every time this has come up when I have been around I always ask "What do you consider a neck shot?" and it normally clears up the confusion. I'm w/Chap, neck joins the body good, neck at base of head or slightly lower, not the best decision. I would think most are in agreement w/that.

Quick Reply: Neck shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.