Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fingers?

Old 09-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fingers?

I've been shooting fingers for yrs, I've also tried many rel aids. I have found a rel. aid that I do like. But I like the advantages fingers gives you while hunting. I've had to many occasions in the deer woods, where a quick deal suddenly comes up on surprise. Whether it be a deer that comes from no where, or one you walk upon unexpectedly. Getting those fingers onto the string is much quicker, and takes little extra precautions to do it, its a natural thing. A rel. aid you have to insure you get that aid attached correctly. I'm sure its easier with practice, but it still takes more care. 2nd we've seen a new trend in arrow rests totally supporting the arrow, so it can't fall off the rest in the heat of the moment, why do think that is? You have less control drawing that arrow back with a rel. and the arrow staying on the rest, and if it does pop off how do you get it back on?? By using your grip hand, pointer finger to place the arrow back on its rest, which can alter your form. If the arrow happens to pop off using fingers, its a much simpler fix because you can place it back on using your string hand!
Now both do have their advantages, and I honestly feel to be a well rounded archer try using both. Start with fingers for awhile, then try a few rel. aids. See which you like better. In the event you do use a rel, and something happens to it in the woods. You can always fall back onto the fingers with some adjustsments, and reminder practice. You just never know what can happen in the hunting woods!!!
Old 09-22-2002, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

for many years i shot fingers,becouse i to believe the less complicated the better.but one year awhile back i found myself strugling to pull the string with my fingers. so i picked up a release aid and discoverd two things.#1 my groups tightend up conciderably,#2 i don't like release aids,i would rather use fingers.today i'm still using the release aid(i have no choice)and it works great but for hunting purposes i would much rather just use fingers.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:06 AM

coyoteseeker,
I am just curious as to what caused you to not be able to draw with your fingers if it is not embarrising.
Thanks

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-23-2002, 10:48 AM

Try both and decide which one you prefer. Besides a tab is pretty cheap. I shoot well with a release. You may shoot better with one or the other. But the release will probably be more accurate for you.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

amosgreg,i'm not realy sure,age i guess.just couldn't keep the string on my finger tips.kept having to grab it at the first finger joint and that couses nothing but chicken plucking of the string.i went fronm a glove to a tab then a release.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:51 AM

coyoteseeker,
What is your draw weight? Did you try going to a lower poundage?
Is the bow a severe cam or round wheels?
I'm am just asking as if the release is working don't change, but you said you didn't like it, hense my question.

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!