Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bedding Down Below Your Stand >

Bedding Down Below Your Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bedding Down Below Your Stand

Old 09-23-2002, 07:10 PM

Default Bedding Down Below Your Stand

I was out scouting tonight, and had a doe bed down 10 yards from where I was sitting. I didn't want to spook her with the season starting in two weeks. Thought I was going to have to break wind or somthing to get her to move. I got lucky and she got up and left after about an hour. What do you do in this situation??
Old 09-23-2002, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bedding Down Below Your Stand

Good question. I had a spike bed down about 30 yards away. I started to bark like a dog, it took about 20 minutes for that deer to get up. Every time I barked it looked away from me (maybe an echo), when he finally got up he walked right by me and left.

Old 09-23-2002, 08:38 PM

Two years ago on the first day of archery I had that happen. A nice 8 points came in and bedded down 15 yards away form me. All I could see was his antlers moving form time to time. He laid there for over 2 hours. I planned on taking a doe if anything that day seeing that I had 3 doe tags. After almost three hours past 3 doe came behind me and offered a shot. The doe where only 10 yards away form the bedded buck. I decided to take a shot at one of the doe. The arrow missed the deer hitting a tree. The noise form the doe caused the buck to get up and walk slowly directly in front of me. I took the 20 yard broadside shot. That was my first buck ever taken during archery.

Eddie

Edited by - eddiee on 09/23/2002 21:40:05
Old 09-23-2002, 09:14 PM

Last year I spent a lot of time with my 9 year old son in his stand with him shooting a 243 rifle. I wanted him to get one bad. After about 12 afternoon hunts with him, 10 does 100 yds away popped out of the woods into a field we were hunting over. When the first 3 does came within 60 yards of our stand, he stood and took the 2nd one in line out....I was so proud for him!.....The 1st doe in line ran for the woods, but the other 8 just stood there not alarmed at all....My son wanted to shoot another one, but I said, No! we got one to dress already, that's enough......It was right at dusk and we were stuck in the stand and the other 8 does wouldn't move!!! I barked like a dog and it didn't phase them....I then howled like a front of the pack coon dog on a trail and all eight does took off!!!!!!!! So I would try howling rather than barking...Worked for me!
Old 09-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the same fawn under my stand twice already this year. He's been eating the leaves from my tree. I'm only 8 feet off the ground and both times he was right next to the trunk of the tree. The tree is only about 8 inches in diameter. It feels so funny having a deer so close.

The second time he was under me (man that sounds awfull), I drew on his mom and of course he bolted, so did the mom. I would have had time for a shot but I wanted to take my time and get the shot right. Oh well. It was fun.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ram one thing that has worked for me when getting stuck in my stand by deer after shooting hours is to break a stick, the sound is natural, but spooks them most of the time, not all of the time though.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club