Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fingers?

Old 09-21-2002, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default fingers?

i plan to set up a bow my dad has in the garage that he said i can have if i want(he is done with arcerhy and next year i will be driving so i can hunt myself and see tons of bucks all year hunting tree rats and such so i want to give it a shot) my dad says i should shoot fingers...what are the pros and cons with shooting fingres and with a release? thanx

Old 09-21-2002, 01:48 PM

Default RE: fingers?

I have tried fingers and release. I like the release the best. It seems with my first bow (1987)that had very little let off that fingers worked well. After getting a bow with 80% let off the finger thing did't work at all. I moved to a release and groups were cut in half. Just my 2cents but I would go with the release.

Old 09-21-2002, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Fingers are more dependable and tough to forget and leave in the truck but a realese seems to be the way to go for tight groups.

I also shot fingers for years and have tryed to go back many times but it allways seems I end up with a string loop and release come hunting season.

If it is a long a-t-a bow you may do well with fingers but short bows, for me anyway, are a bear to shoot without a release.

SF

Old 09-21-2002, 09:26 PM

Like sprintflyer says, it's tough to loose or forget your fingers.
I am a proponent of the less complecated we make our set-up the less there is to go wrong. Fingers is at the minimum 2 things(release, loop, and possibily more things on the string) to break or otherwise go wrong. If you plan on shooting 3-D and are trying to be competetive then shoot a release but if only hunting then you can't go wrong using the KISS system and fingers.

My 2 cents

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-21-2002, 09:37 PM

Mauser what is that a picture of.....WOW...Fletch

KEEP THE WIND IN YOUR FACE.... FLETCH
Old 09-21-2002, 11:18 PM

A mechanical release would be much better and more consistent for you, especially as a new shoter. A release helps to eliminate many of the bad effects that human errors can have on arrow flight and give you a consistent release every time. As somebody new to archery you will find that the key to success is consistency, trying to do everything exactly the same on every shot. Take the bow to a local archery shop and ask them to help you set it up. Keep in mind that your fathers bow, while free, may not be a good fit for you as far as draw length.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot fingers, but understand that a release is more accurate for those who do not shoot alot. I shoot in leagues and compete with release shooters. I plan on shooting a recurve at some point and don't want to have to swith shooting styles to much.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

the bow is older so it is longer...and he says i should go with fingers because releases can fail or you can bump the trigger or they can slip off...loop can break..my fingers wont(well can but if im hunting they wont be broke! lol) and the bow is set at the max draw legnth and its just a hair too long...but it needs new string anyway so while its there i will have them set it up for me...i will practice all the time from spring until fall...i love shooting and LOVED to shoot bows with my dad(i had a mini compund bow) i will have all the time in the world after school to shot...and i think i will be naturally good with some practice...and i will be very confident the first day next year because ive read if u practice far short hunting shots will be easy...and i love pushing limits(not on game) like i used to shoot a pellet gun 65 yards just for fun..thatss the kinda thing i would do when im bored with a bow and it would build my confidence....thanx for the info..i think im going fingers...
o ya....that pic is a cats face and a human eye....vc111 took it and let me use it as my sig....

Old 09-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

I would go with the release, seems to be more accurate
Old 09-22-2002, 06:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
...and he says i should go with fingers because releases can fail or you can bump the trigger or they can slip off...loop can break..my fingers wont
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Why did you bother to ask for advice from the many experienced bow shooter on this site if you are just going to do what daddy says?

Quick Reply: fingers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.