Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 FINGERS OR RELEASE? >

FINGERS OR RELEASE?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FINGERS OR RELEASE?

Old 08-10-2005, 04:07 PM

Default FINGERS OR RELEASE?

Is using your fingers a disadvantage? Will using a quick release increase accuracy? Are they both the same? AND..

What kind of100 grainhunting tips (not mechanical) work very well?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: FINGERS OR RELEASE?

A lot of people think shooting with fingers is a disadvantage. It requires more practice to develop a smooth release with fingers, and it seems a lot of people don't like shooting a bow enough to make time for a little practice. With a mechanical release, many think they're exempt from practicing in the 'off season' since all you gotta to is pull a trigger.

There. That's my daily rant.

A good release shooter will beat a good fingers shooter on the target range, but the difference in accuracy is measured in fractions of an inch. In the woods? The critter doesn't know or care if you centerpunch the exact spot you're aiming at instead of being 1/4" off.

You can mess up and drop your release out of the treestand, so you need to have at least 2 of those expensive gizmos. If you drop a shooting tab or glove out of a treestand, you can still shoot barefingered. You won't be firing off 20-30 arrows in a day of treestand perching, so you're not going to tear up your fingers.

The biggest disadvantage of fingers is how short most bows are these days. They're a lot easier to shoot with a release. Some of them are so short it's practically impossible to use a fingers release. For fingers, the longer the bow, the better. You can work out a 2 finger release for the shorter bows, if you put in the effort. I've seen a few guys using a 1 finger release on real short bows with high letoff. Gives me the heebeejeebees watching them though.[:-]

Actually, I'm more comfortable and more accurate shooting fingers than I am with a release. But then, I am an old fashioned throwback.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Arthur gives good advice, I just have a few other comments. first of all you don't need 2 releases. You buy one quality release and don't drive your truck over itand it will last you for many many years.

Basically I feel itboils down tothe individual and thetype of hunting you do. If you can devote the time to practice and are a good fingers shooter who takes sensible shots, then go for it. But if you don't have the dedication or skill to develope a good fingers shot, or if you get excited easily, or are going to want to extend your range as far as you can, then you should go with a release.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most folks today are typically better served using a release as opposed to fingers simply from a time perspective. They don't necessarily have the time or motivation to learn to shoot fingers anywhere near as consistantly as a mechanical release.

As for points, non-expandable, I am rather fond of the new small replacement blade heads on the market. The NAP Nitron, Rocket Ultimate Steel or Slick Trick 100s would get my vote.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 PM

I am new to bowhunting and lately ive been practicing with my fingers and I also intend to hunt that way. I just can't see the advantages of using a release except for the wear on your hands is no longer there. If someone could explain that to me I would be happy.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto Authur, spoken like a true bowhunter whos been there and done it. Your right about finding short bows, they havetoo much finger pressure. The bows seemed to be geared to the release shooters shooting spots as opposed to actually catering to a finger shooter bowhunting. Just cheque out cabelas or bps and look how short they are. A 39" bow is considered long anymore.
The bow manufacturerscater to what sells and thefinger shooters aswe will be a thing of the past.
Bobby
Old 08-10-2005, 10:31 PM

I have to bite my lip on this one so as not to offend anyone!
First let me say that I was a DIEHARD finger shooter and swore that ANY bow over 50% letoff was "the work of the devil"!!! I shot a black widow finger tab for over a decade and was deaf too the uses and praises of anything else. I even tried to convince myself I could use it for shooting higher letoff bows when they first arrived on the scene in the late 80s. I remember shooting an old XI Legend (65%) when they came out in 1988 and did "ok" on the range and while non-hunting (now remember I worked at an archery range and shot ALOT!). But the first time hair was in front of me I pulled the shot high and a poor shot and and un-recovered animal is what I got for my troubles! [:@]

There are two BIG negatives and no-no's when shooting fingers. First, as was said, a short bow is really not conducive to fingers. Personally I think anything under 40" should be left to releases. Secondly, and for IMHO THE most important reason and one that I don't see mentioned most times, most of todays bows are of a MUCH higher let-off than bows even 10 years ago. A decade ago 65% was considered high letoff and anything above that was "exotic" and 50%ers were still largely in use. Today 65% has gotten to be on the lowside and if the bow is newer than 5-7 years old chances are it is 70% + which makes them EXTREMELY release critical.

I will go on record saying here that you simply WONT shoot a 70% bow with fingers and do so with ANY type of consistency, especially from a treestand, with alot of clothes on and God forbid while an animal is standing nearby. I further SERIOUSLY think that most people are handicapping themselves with todays, high letloff "speed bows" if they aren't likewise shooting a string loop. And I can give you a whole books reasons as too why they are needed as well.

Now I'll stand back and let the insults fly my way!
RA

ps
I REALLY like the tough lil Rocket 100s (bacon cutters) they fly like darts, are basically indestructible and zip through deer like a hot ice pick through butter!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot fingers - it works for me. I've considered trying a release- but if it ain't broke don't mass with it
Old 08-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

release