Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Got some G5 Montecs Last Night And... >

Got some G5 Montecs Last Night And...

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Got some G5 Montecs Last Night And...

Old 07-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got some G5 Montecs Last Night And...

They sure didnt seem very sharp right out of the package. They definitely wouldnt shave hair. Pretty sure they the blades wouldnt cut me if I sawed on my arm. However, I loaded one up on my GT XT and flung an few into my 3-d backyard buck and it was tearing it up. Completely passing through the target. Flew great. I have to admit I wasnt to impressed with them when I got them out of the package but man how my impression was changed. Im guiding a few hog hunts this weekend Ill see if I can stick a mean old boar and see how they hold up.
TxAg
Old 07-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got some G5 Montecs Last Night And...

I forgot to mention that i am using quick spin fletchings with my gold tips and they launched these g5's and flew like field points.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

They are ALOT sharper than they feel. They are ground on a 60deg angle.. and they will shave your hair if you get the angle right. There is a method of sharpening them on a piece of glass w/ some really fine grit wet/dry sand paper (1600 grit +).. I used that method and the edge is really polished now... and it will shave hair.. it's just tough due to the 60deg angle. They are really awesome heads.

Check out www.broadheadtests.com for some reveiws.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:50 PM

I think they are probly sharp enough out of the package, but with a little work you can put a much better edge on them. I spend about 5 minutes per head and they feel much sharper.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Ive got them sharp now. They will certainly shave now. It is scary how sharp I have them. I spend about 30-45 minutes per head. I put a fine keen edge on them. They flew through my 3-d's like a hot knife through butter.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:09 PM

Let me know how your hog hunt goes as I shot my first Boar with one last year and boy you talk about sharper than they feel ... I was VERY impressed and and almost completely passed throught the hog ..... Completely exited the other side and the only thing that stopped it was the fletchicng as it was coming through Shoot mine on GT's as well ...... i think you will be very imoressed

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Archernga,

They worked great. I had about the same results as you. Mine went completely through but only after the hog ran about 20 yards. I put the pics on my website and ill link you directly to it.

The boar had 4" cutters and weighed 238. Its my uncle in the picture, I took his pic with the hog and posted it on my site so I would have some new faces with hogs on the site. He helped me with all the dirty work but I shot him with my rig.

http://www.texaswildhoghunting.com/TrophyRoom.html
first pics in the room
Old 07-30-2004, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Texasaggie ! great looking hogg's .I bought some montac G5's for this season as well ,I haven't tried them hunting yet but in 5 week's I'll be on the moose hunt and I'll let you know better what i think then.

nubo