Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 G5 Montecs...  Wow. >

G5 Montecs... Wow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G5 Montecs... Wow.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default G5 Montecs... Wow.

As a lot of you guys know, I'm pushing the current technological limits this season - hunting with a nonconventional setup... So far, sogood with the field tips.

Yesterday, however,was a day that I'd been dreading - "Broadhead day."

Some of the resident"experts"have voiced "concerns" about me being able to get a broadhead to fly and/or penetrateat such high speeds (350-370 fps) on such a light arrow (285 grains including broadhead), so I was a little nervous to see what was going to transpire when I finally mounted the blades and turned it loose.

So, I had my mind made up, and went outyesterday to pick up the 75gr. Muzzy's and set up for hunting season. Unfortunately, Gander Mountain was sold out of them, so I opted for the 85gr. G5 Montec's instead. I'd heard some good things - they looked solid... I'll try them.

First impression - they looked sturdy - sharper than all getout. Should penetrate like a hot knife in butter...

The first shot at 20 yardsburied almost to up to the fletchings in my block, dead in the bullseye. Flew like a dart - hit the same spot as a field tip. Dead nuts consistently- even out to 45 yds - no tailwhip or porpoising. Apparently, I was concerned over nothing... I love being right. LOL

All I know is that these stupid block targetsjust aren't built to handle the kind of KE that these new bows are putting out. Brand new block, with broadheads practically blowing right through it.

HCA Iron Mace, 29" 70#, Carbon Revolution 5.5 super stiff shaft, 285 grain arrow, G5 Montec 85 grain.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: G5 Montecs... Wow.

If you shot the big boy version of 125 grain; I have 1/2 dozen I would send you
Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

125 grain is for wimps.

J/k bud - thanks for the offer though.

Hopefully I'll only need one. I don't know if it's the bow or arrow configuration orwhat, but these heads definitely shoot more consistently than my old Muzzy heads did.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

All I know is that these stupid block targetsjust aren't built to handle the kind of KE that these new bows are putting out.
Interested to know what your KE is?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

77# KE with 285 gr. arrow @ 350 fps.

A couple of the guys who I hunt with - they're in the 90# KE range. I can't figure out what they use as a broadhead target. LOL
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

i thought about trying the g5 but i like muzzy too much
Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they were sharp out of the package that's definitely a change for them. The ones I bought last year were duller than a butter knife. I had to buy their stupid $30 sharpening stone to sharpen $70 worth of broadheads.[:@]

Sold the Montecs, switched to Slick Tricks and have never looked back. Shouldn't have to sharpen a $10 broadhead straight out of the package IMO.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they were sharp out of the package that's definitely a change for them. The ones I bought last year were duller than a butter knife
Thats why I'm shooting G5 Strikers, this year.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used the G5's for several years but got tired of sharpening them. I switched to the g5 srtikers and really like the sharpness. I'll check out the G5 montecs again and see if they got the sharpening issue solved like you stated.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the Montecs but the sharpness seems to change from pack to pack

Quick Reply: G5 Montecs... Wow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.