Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Summit Viper x4 vs Cobra x4 >

Summit Viper x4 vs Cobra x4

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Viper x4 vs Cobra x4

Old 06-02-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Summit Viper x4 vs Cobra x4

This year will be my first bowhunting season. I'm looking for a good climbing treestand. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Summit Viper x4 or the Cobra x4. What's peoples experience/opinion about each regarding ease of climbing etc. I'm kinda worried about the stationary rest in front of the Viper model.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:42 PM

Default RE: Summit Viper x4 vs Cobra x4

Welcome to the board. I have the Viper XLS. I love it. When I was saw it I didn't like the front bar much. Now when I'm 20' up I'm glad I have it.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:59 PM

Thanks. I'm glad I found this site. It's great, especially for an inexperienced bow hunter. I'll definitely consider your advise when I make my decision.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my Viper XLS for bowhunting. The bar does not hamper my shooting. However, I take my shots standing up. If you take some shots sitting down the bar could interfere. You may also want to take a look at the Summit Bushmaster and the new Summit ClearShot. Both of these stands are open in the front too. The looks of the newly designed Cobra X4, with the moveable ez climb bar, make it much more appealing than in years past. I think you will be pleased with any Summit stand you get.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would get the cobra X4 it has everything the viper has except it can flip the bar out of your way for bowhunting.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

For what it's worth, I've slept comfortably 30 feet up in the Viper with that front rail as insurance. I don't know if I could with a low rail/bar like the Cobra has.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:24 AM

I've had every one of the Vipers,starting with their first one that was all steel,secound one that was aluminum,to the new one...Viper X4.I just got it,very nice,with some excellant improvements.Since I hunt pretty hard,with both guns and bows,in my opinion,stay with the Viper X4.Summit has a quality product and they are good people to deal with...Bob
Old 06-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Viper xls all the way for me, i have killed plenty of deer sitting, however i try to stand if i can, and i dont need a bar for a rifle because i cant hunt with it in ohio anyway.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:27 PM

I have the viper as well. I love it. Like some of the other guys I shoot standing up so the bar doesn't bother me. Also, for the few times a year I might lay my hand on a gun I have the bar to use as a rest.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the Viper is generally the more popular model because of....

a) Most folks like the sit down/stand up feature of the "Barred climbers".

b) That level, front bar adds an extra feeling of safety and security.

c) Most deer hunters are either bowhunters/riflehunters or just riflehunters and that level bar provides excellent support when aiming a rifle.

Either stand would be a good choice but I personally prefer the "open-front" models for bowhunting as I believe they allow a slightly greater freedom of movement.