Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Viper vs Cobra?

Old 09-12-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Viper vs Cobra?

Just won $250.00 in a Teaxs Hold-em tourney and am going to buy a climber with the winnings[8D]
I'm leaning toward the VIPER XLS (On sale at local Gander Mountain for $199.00). I would like to use the stand for both Bow and Rifle. My question is does the shooting bar cause a problem while Bow hunting? Is the Cobra a better choice for both sports? Any advise appreciated Thanks.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:18 PM

Default RE: Viper vs Cobra?

I have been using a Cobra for three years now and think it is great. The bar of the Viper looks like it may get in the way if you are sitting or standing with a almost vertical shot. I was sitting in mine last year when an 8 pointer came into view and there was no way I was going to stand up without him seeing me so I'm glad there wasn't a bar in front of me then.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find the bar on the Viper does not get in my way when shooting a bow. I think you will be happy with either stand though.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a viper also, and I dont have a problem shooting my bow out of it. Im short (5'6'') and Ihave a 32 ata bow.

One thing, I do is adjust the seat straps for height. For gun hunting I adjust the straps so I sit lower and I can use the bar for a rest. But for bow hunting, I adjust the straps so I sit higher, so its easier to stand up and clear the bar. Just be careful reguardless.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just picked up a cobra xls and couldn't be happier. Granted I haven't gotten any real woods experience with it yet, but shooting out of it in the back yard from any angle is comfortable.

I did have a problem with my BigShot stand that has a bar around it, but found that if i move the platform up a bit, my UL31 has no problem clearing it on any angle. That does however make it more difficult to stand up and creates a bit more movement, but you got to be sly about it, that's all.

Both are great stands. You will be happy with either one. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:28 AM

I have been using the Viper for the last 7 years, started with steel now use aluminum. I have nevered had the bar get in the way, if the bar is in your way for a shot on a deer under your stand, it is a poor shot choice, just wait for him to take that next step. Both the Cobra and the Viper a great stands, however if you plan on using the stand for gun hunting then the bar makes a nice rest. Additionally, the bar has aided in my successful harvesting of two deer. Both came in behind me, I was able to sit on the bar and lean back with my 4 point safety harness using the tree as camo and comfortably wait them out, one of which took 45 minutes, a long time to remain motionless while standing.

Either way you won't be sorry.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

my son and i and 3 of my friends all have the viper and the bar doesnt get in our way it actually makes you feel safer i always stand to shoot, if you want a sit down shot then you should go with the cobra... both are excellent stands.... the bar is real nice for rifle to on the viper...
all of summits stands are great and they are a great bunch of people to, they really take care of the customer.....
Old 09-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I prefer the open front stands for that very reason though I did also pick up a Viper recently and plan on testing that very "theory" out later this week. From what I can tell, and to verify earlier comments, the bar should not get in the way if the seat is setup relatively high.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a viper and NO the bar doesnt get in the way unless your set up is just messed up, i have shot deer sitting down from this stand and it is just great.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 PM

The bar doesn't get in my way, as long as I am standing. And it comes in handy when rifle hunting. Not to mention the feeling of security it offers

Quick Reply: Viper vs Cobra?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.