Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Summit Cobra XLS

Old 06-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Summit Cobra XLS

I ordered it on Sunday June 8, and it arrived Wednesday June 11. On Monday they emailed me and told me it had been shipped, and when to expect it. The stand was $198.99 , Shipping $8.78 and tax $13.93 for a total of $221.70 Why tax? ' cause they are in the same state I' m in. Still that is cheaper than Basspro, Cabellas, etc. on their sale price. The company I bought from charge the actual shipping cost, not " shipping and handling. If i bought from Basspro they woulda charged me $237.94

It arrived in a nice box, and I ripped it open like a child at Christmas! Then I pulled it out onto the floor. Everything was ready to go. All I had to do was push the cable into the opening and close the gate. That was all there was to it! It came with a 5 year warranty card, a 5 page instruction manual that also explained the use of the 4 point harness that came with it.

There was a 30 minute video that was entertaining and explained how the stand operates as well as explaining the " dangers and cautions" of using a treestand. Did you know that 30% of all deerstand users get hurt somehow?

I took my stand to the backyard and hooked it up to a tree. Man was it easier than my old stand! It was so quiet I couldn' t beleive it. I sat in the cushioned chair, and I just sat there thinking, Man if my wife would let me put this in the den where my Strato-lounger is I' d be happy! It was so comfortable!

Then I started climbing. It was very quiet and easy to use. It would bite into the bark so well that I know it will not slide. It also has a self leveling feature that is built in. The video that came with it explains how to do this.

I was going to climb a telephone pole and an aluminum light pole just to see how secure it would be but the video tape that came with it said not to. I am not stupid, when the manufacturer says it' s dangerous then I believe them! However, in a tree it sticks! Not to the point of being stuck, I just mean it doesn' t slide. Have you ever bounced on your stand to get it to sink in? I have on my old stand. This one you just don' t have to.

It came with everything to safely climb a tree; a real 4 point safety harness, with rope to attach to a tree, a locking strap to use to lock the stand to the tree, another rope to tie both pieces of stand together(to keep the bottom from falling down should you " accidently" kick or push or whatever, backpack straps, padded cushions(thick!) video to explain it all(it was entertaining as well as educational.

Old 06-12-2003, 05:40 AM

Default RE: Summit Cobra XLS

Congrats and enjoy!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 06:40 AM

Some advice, thundermug, if I may....
I love my Cobra, I' ve tried API' s, Summit' s, Loggy' s, etc, the Summit has them all beat.
One thing to check for, in the tubes where the cable slides into, mine had a few sharp edges in there that ripped the black plastic off the cables over time, might want to take a look and hit it with a file.
If the black plastic does come off, they sell something at hardware stores that' s a spray, and will coat those cables like new, it' s used for color coating tool handles, etc.
The leveling feature is nice, and perectly safe if you' re in a harness, but try it a few times on your backyard tree a foot or two up before trying it at 25' . It' s a little tricky at first.
Oh yeah, get the padded straps, and the bag for odds and ends that Summit sells, those are nice.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Enjoy it thundermug they are supposed to be one of
the best!!
Old 06-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive had mine for around 3 years now and havent been disapointed yet
Happy Hunting,
sean
Old 06-13-2003, 03:07 AM
Fork Horn

Summit is the BEST out there!
Old 06-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a great stand. I have also been considering making the change to Summit after many years of seeing folks sing their praises. My dilemna arises in that I am not sure if I want the Revolution or Cobra. I think the Revolution is probably going to get the nod as it looks like one heck of a comfortable stand. I will let you know what happens.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is the same stand except it has the footrest... go with the Python XLS and you can change the footrest into a shooting rail when gunhunting, it' s cheaper also.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:07 AM

Summits BITE and HOLD on! They are also nice and light to carry as well.Mine is just what I look for in a climber and has never slipped or made me uncomfortable when sitting for the long run.Quiet and easy to use..............just don' t leave it out in the woods hid as mice love to chew on the seat material [:' (] Good Hunting!

woods
Old 06-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thundermug

That' s why I selected the python. If you don' t want footrest for bowhunting you can take the bar off and it' s the same stand as the XLS. It has the mounting holes still there. I contacted the Summit and asked them about bar removal and they replied that it would be the same stand as XLS. But I like the footrest while sitting long periods just to change positions. I have found that using the sit down method of climbing with the python is a little ackward. Need to practice before taking to woods.