Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Summit Stands...Viper X4 or Cobra X4??? >

Summit Stands...Viper X4 or Cobra X4???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Stands...Viper X4 or Cobra X4???

Old 10-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Summit Stands...Viper X4 or Cobra X4???

I've been seriously thinking about buying a climber for bowhunting this upcoming season which opens in two weeks here in NY. I've never used a climber before and the two I'm looking at right now are the Viper and the Cobra models. I not a real big fan of heights so I like the Viper with it's wrap around bar but have questions about whether or not it will get in the way for a shot, espically for those close range 5-10 yd. shots (I always shoot standing). I know it says the seat is adjustable to compensate for this, but I need to know...does the safety bar get in the way will shooting a bow? Would I be better off looking at the Cobra with its open front design? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summit Stands...Viper X4 or Cobra X4???

I use a Viper and the rail does not get in my way. However I take all my shots standing up. The bar could possibly get in your way depending on the angle of the shot and possibly the ata length of your bow.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used both styles and you will be more comfortable in the Viper. When your ready to shoot you can lean foreword and use the rail as a brace with a leg or waist touching it.
Only hard part is when the deer pull one of those appearing acts out of thin air. In those circumstances standing for a shot undetected becomes the first challenge at hand.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:14 AM

my first climber and i bought a viper so far i love it being not a big fan of heights and sorta clumbsy. I think it was the safest stand for me shimmyed up a tree in the back yard in about 10 min with a freinds help who owns a python climber last years summit model i guess. Except for the getting used to the saftey harness and attaching the climber in the dark it is nice and i like the rail. i have a 34" ata bow AR34 and no problems with shots the rail is a nice stop so i don't walk right off the front of the stand !![8D]
Old 10-04-2004, 02:53 PM

I bought a Viper X4 for this season - both bow and gun. The rail is not a problem as long as you stand to shoot (or if your say - 5' tall). I filled my antlerless permit on 10/1 - opening day. The shot was behind me and I think the raised bar on the cobra would have reduced my shooting radius. I also feel, as a previous poster suggested, that the fixed bar is safer and more stale. Your in the stand, not on it.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:15 PM

I also wanted a stand without a bar. I chose the Viper, thought. I'm glad I did. I feel much safer in the stand. I doubt I would go up in a tree without a front bar.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the Viper as well. That front bar is safety insurance in my book!!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bar can get in the way when sitting and even when shooting real close when standing. If you practice shooting out of the stand you will quickly learn how to overcome the problem. I like the wrap around bar as it makes me feel safer and make a handy place to lay my bow. The open front stands are easier to shoot a bow from and allow the option of shooting while seated.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love my Summit Viper X4!!! [8D] It is the most lightest, quietest, and most comfortable stand I have ever owned.

Butch A.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:49 AM

I just have to ask...

I HATE heights. I mean, I really do. I've never sat in a tree stand that didn't scare the $h!t out of me. Then again, I've only sat in inexpensive fixed stands -- you knwo the one, small seat, platform, one chain holding the top over a fork in the tree and swaying with the wind!

Everyone I've talked to loves the Summit stands. They say they feel safe and secure. They sure look much more comfortable than the lock on one I have that cuts off all circulation to your legs...

Having said this -- do you think I would be comfortable in one of these? I like the idea of the rail on the Viper. Seems like it would be nice to have something to lean your leg on when standing just for that added bit of insurance. I have no doubt that they are quality, but would a height weanie like me feel safe up there! I've pretty much sworn off stand hunting, but I find that ground blinds are not very versitle at all adn would like to be up high if I could at all stand it.

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: Summit Stands...Viper X4 or Cobra X4???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.