Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 what are 2 or 3 of the top of line hunting compound bows >

what are 2 or 3 of the top of line hunting compound bows

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

what are 2 or 3 of the top of line hunting compound bows

Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Default RE: what are 2 or 3 of the top of line hunting compound bows

Mathew DXT and the Mathews Drenalin, Hoyt Katera and a Bowtech 101st for 2008 lineup of best selling bows.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 PM

X2. All three of these bows are "ringers". One may ring in your hands a little truer than the rest, though . . . . and that's what you need to find out.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with those that have said to just shoot as many bows as you can. So many people have a "favorite" bow for a reason. It's because there are so many good choices out there. The thing to remember is that buying top of the line doesn't guarantee to make you a better shot.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 AM

Hoyt Katera, Katera XL, PSE X Force (something with a draw stop).

Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say that the top of the line hunting bows (marketing wise) for 2008 are the Bowtech 82nd or 101st, the Hoyt Katera or Katera XL,the PSE "Dream Season"and the Mathews DXT or Drenalin LD. Those are just some of the flagships from the BIG FOUR manufacturers, and the ones that also demand some of the highest price tags.

From mypersonal standpoint... there are a few bows throughout the last ten years or so that have just purely been absolute winners.... and at least in my eyes have really earned a spot on my personal "best ever" compound bow list: Hoyt Ultra-Tec and Pro-Tec, Mathews LX and Switchback XT, Bowtech Alligence and Tribute, Diamond Black Ice, Parker Hunter Mag (cheap and effective) along with the ubiquitous PSE Nova (no doubt several people's first new bow... and while I don't care for it myself, its contributions are undenyable... kinda like the Marlin 30-30 of bows). Just a few from recent history.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM

I can't remeber how many times in the last decade this question arises in conversation and now in chat rooms. The one answer that always suits the answer correctly is the old wise archers answer, the bow that feels the best to you. You will always see the big three in the mix due to the extensive amounts of money thrown at advertising. Undoubtedly they are great equiptment, but some of your smaller manufacturers actually produce bows to the same high quality that the big three do. I have shot my fair share of different bows over the years and have found the best bow is not always the latest and greatest. I have also seen some issues with the lastest and greatest over the years like failing limbs, bad bearings causing excessive cam lean, and cams that eat through strings like my Darton Maverick Recurve that I live with beacuse I enjoy the way it shoots. When you purchase your next bow research the company. Findout what their Warranty is like. Do they offer the lifetime warranty or limited lifetime warranty. What kind of customer service do they offer. Do yourself a favor and call the company and request a brochure by mail. See how long it takes to get there or if it even gets there.I think the big question is are you looking for the fastest bow or the most forgiving bow. They all look good in magazines and online, but when it come to quality and service itfalls right back to where it is most important, YOUR HANDS.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I'll add is that you can alsoget a GREAT bow that doesn't say Hoyt, Bowtech, or Mathews. While the Big 3 certainly make excellent bows, so do many of the other manufacturers like Martin, Pearson, Darton, PSE, Diamond, Reflex, Parker, High Country, Elite, Bear, etc.

Make sure you shoot more than just the Big 3 - you might be suprised like I was at just how good the others are also, especially when you consider bang for the buck.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:14 PM

And PARKER also has a lifetime warranty on their bows. Bear is a 5 year and then they start downgrading till the 10th then you gotta pay. Nice Pearson. Have plenty of friends with the Z bows. I do beleive Pearson also has a lifetime warranty and the only reinforced limb tip in the industry.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do think the 101 is an overlooked bow by many.
I am sure glad I didn't....Great shooting bow. I had a Bowtech Commander that I loved as well before that.