Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Prepping Old Compound Bows >

Prepping Old Compound Bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Prepping Old Compound Bows

Old 06-25-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Prepping Old Compound Bows

I received 2 old compound bows - one PSE and one Browning that I' d like to prep so that I can get into bowhunting. Both have been stored with bowstrings strung for a number of years.

Your advice on what I should be doing to ensure that they are properly prepped is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Al
Old 06-25-2003, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Prepping Old Compound Bows

Alacrity,

I wouldn’t even pull them back until I had a qualified individual check them out for you. They will most likely need restrung (new cables too if they don’t have steel buss cables). A good proshop would probably be the place to go. I get the feeling you might not know if they actually fit your draw length and weight requirements. The correct arrows are very important as well. Getting started correctly is will help greatly, in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with starting with older equipment. You may become very accurate with it. You have a lot of work to do this summer if you want to be ready to hunt by the fall. I hope you are a quick learner.

Getting some coaching is not a bad idea either.

-Chief
Old 06-25-2003, 03:31 PM

What models are the bows, and do you have any history of their use?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I get my hands on a used bow that I don' t know the history of, first thing I do is completely disassemble the bow and check it out. Make sure the bushings in the cams aren' t worn out, the axles are straight, look for cracks in the limbs and riser, collapsed rockers... the works. Then I clean all the parts, lube what needs lubing, replace the axles and bushings if needed, and reassemble the bow with new cables and string.

I have no idea what a pro shop would charge to perform that kind of work, but it would be well worth it.