Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

arrows thick or thin?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Default arrows thick or thin?

Iwant to know what you guys think about small diameter arrows like easton axis or normal size arrows likecarbonexpressmaxima.Which is better, small diameter arrowsor regular arrows. This is a big debate where I'm from at the local archery shop.I would like your opinion on this subject.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mathews catch us if you can

[/align]
Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrows thick or thin?

the way i see it, your broadhead is going to cut a 1"+ diameter hole. unless your shooting a shaft bigger than your cutting diameter, i dont really see the super slim arrows to be much different...in terms of performance/penetration....thats just my thinking.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thinner shaft is supposed to be the selling point with the ST's. Easton did a bunch of tests shooting into media and then stated the St's out penetrate the competition. However, with a broadhead that doesn't really matter that much.

The only benefitI see to the ST's is the thinner shaft is less affected by cross wind.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
bigcountry

I think as long as the shaft is smaller than the broadhead, its really not contributing to friction, and therefore won't matter. Personally, I have been amazed with the small shafts and thier penetration. I go with the carbon express Edges and Bemans cause I like it so much these days.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

the way i see it, your broadhead is going to cut a 1"+ diameter hole. unless your shooting a shaft bigger than your cutting diameter, i dont really see the super slim arrows to be much different...in terms of performance/penetration....thats just my thinking.
Exactly! And as far as the cross wind thing goes, I doubt you could even measure that under lab conditions much less in the real world. A little thumb pressure on the grip is going to effect point of impact more than the difference of air pressure exerted sideways on a cylinder between a .18" or a .23" diameter shaft over a 28" span. The sales pitch for thin shafts sounds good but it doesn't hold water in the real world.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM

I may be mistaken here but, isn't the selling point on the small diameter arrows that they have H.I.T. With the Hidden Insert Technology it is supposed to allignyou point (broadhead or feildtip) with the inside wall of the carbon shaft therefore keeping it perfectly straight at the end of the shaft and giving you superior broadhead accuracy.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another of their points is the small diameter thick shaft versus larger diameter thin shaft. The thicker shafts should be more durable. However,I doubt that there is that much of a difference.

The thinner shafts will be less affected by crosswinds at long distances. This has been proven in the real world and isn't just in a box testing. That's why regular carbons are in general smaller than aluminums of the same spine. however, for the distances I shoot at game it's a non-issue.

The purpose ofHIT is to put the insert in line with the shaft and therefore having better tolerances. However, if you've ever tried to slide the insert into any of today's carbons you'd know that they have pretty good tolerances themselves. On the GT's you have to smack them pretty good.

Ithink it's simply a marketing idea to try and separate themselves from other manufacturers.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Small diameter arrows such as the old V-Max 2300 and the Beaman Carbon Hunter shafts will definately give you deeper penetration and better spine consistency than any of the newer shafts on the market. Thats why they stopped manufacturing them. The carbon was so stong and durable that a dozen arrows would last 5 to 10 years.The outserts that were installed protected 1.25'' of the arrows nock and tip end and during penetration the outsert was the only object causing drag and producing friction therefore giving more energy into the target.

The only products on the market now are shafts with the HIT technology and also the carbon/aluminum combonation that produce the best penetration compared to the all the other carbon shafts.

The hit technology still protects the end of the arrow and does give better broadhead alignment but the nock end is where the arrow needs to be straight first and thats the place they forgot to protect.

The aluminum/carbon shafts are great, they are by far the straightest arrows on the market. The only problem with them is they are a one time use arrow unless you can stop that arrow before it passes through and hits something hard. Once you bend aluminum, it stays bent, even being protected by carbon because you cannot and will not get a bend out of it. They are for tournament shooters not hunters in my book.

The V-Max arrows are the only arrow I no that will withstand a 1/4 inch steel plate at 20 yds and survive. I have tested every arrow on the market and they all failed and some failed in dramatic fashion by exploding. I have shot acc at the Dart system and after 500 shots the srrows where trashed and that was a canvas screen taking all the energy but the arrows still ended up bending.

My advice, dont by cheap arrows, you pay for what you get.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use axis and have experienced more penetration and pass thrus since I switched over. All other things being equal, a slimmer shaft will out penetrate a fatter shaft.