Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thin Arrows

Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thin Arrows

I finally switched from aluminum to carbon shafts. My new carbons are thinner than my old aluminums and my field points and broadheads are nowwider thanmy shaft. Is it ok for the points to be wider than the shaft, or do I need to buy new points & broadheads? (note: the points are about 1/16" wider than the shaft)
Old 08-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thin Arrows

You'll need to purchase field point that are the correct size for the arrow or you'll have difficulty pulling them out of targets and could loose inserts depending on how well they were installed.

Many of the real small carbons have rings to be installed with the broadheads to give them a smoother profile.

What carbon arrows have your purchased?

I assumed you retuned your bow to the small diameter carbons because it will be off from shooting larger diameter aluminums?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:01 PM

It won't affect arrow flight, but removal from a target can be a bear....specially from a bag.....Get some new ones. Very inexpensive.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

I went with the Carbon Express CX Edge. I haven't retuned my bow for them yet. Just got them today and I'm leaving for a fishing tripon Tuesday. I'll have plenty of tuning time when I get back. I know how to do paper tuning, is there anything else Ineed to check?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:04 PM

When you change to a smally diameter arrow it effectively raises your nocking point because it sits lower on the rest. You will probably have to lower the nocking point or raise the rest a hair. I would should it first to make sure though, it might be ok like it is.

You for sure do not want a larger tip than the shaft is for certain types of targets, like bag targets and some indoor ranges. The local club will not let you shoot tip larger than your shaft because they are made of some sort of mesh screen. Some carbons there is no way around it because the insert actually flairs out from the shaft. If I remember correctly carbon Impacts are this way, and my buddies new PSE arrows are as well. He has a heck of a time getting them out of my bag target.

Paul