Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Right way to thin does?!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Right way to thin does?!

Not sure if I should've put this in the mgmt. section or not.

But anyway, here's my problem: I have LOTS, and LOTS, of does in my area. What is the correct way to thin them out.

I took up bow hunting last year to try and get them early in the season. Got none last year, one so far this year. Should I continue to shoot them or not? I know the rut is soon approaching, so I'm in a bit of of adilemma here. Let me make something clear--I've never killed a buck of any sort, only does. I'm thinking it's B/C of my Buck to doe ratio. Why should he "cruise" for any when he has 3-4 right beside him right?

Should I continue to take out does even during the rut? I know it sounds like a crazy ?, but this snowball is growing quick.

BTW, I know I have a good buck around here, so I've NOT been open to let anyone else hunt. I just couldn't ask someone to pass on a good buck for a doe. Remember, I've never gotten a buck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Default RE: Right way to thin does?!

Well if i were you i would try my best to take a buck cause they are the ones getting the does pregnant so the less bucks hopefully the less does but you will still have to take out does as well so if i were you i would actually start letting people on your land if you want the population to drop.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lethalconnection

Well if i were you i would try my best to take a buck cause they are the ones getting the does pregnant so the less bucks hopefully the less does but you will still have to take out does as well so if i were you i would actually start letting people on your land if you want the population to drop.
Since a single buck can impregnate multiple does this is a somewhat poor strategy . For every doe you shoot you're shooting at least two deer , and potentially as many as four . Shoot does until they're hard to find , the less does there are the more the bucks will have to cruise .
Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Kevin,

That's kinda what I was thinking. My only problem is that I'm not sure if I should shoot any during the rut. I know a doe is the perfect decoy, but I feel kinda like a duck hunter w/ a "set" of decoys. Since I know there are plenty of them, I may just blast 'em all. If I ruin this year, so be it. It would only be another buckless year. But, it would be a good start for next year as well right?

I let a little yearling doe walk just about 2 hrs ago. I just couldn't justify putting down that small of a deer. It was maybe 10-12 yds.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM

i would wait until after the rut. you want the does around this time of year. after the rut i wold just shoot every mature doe you have a chance at
Old 11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know where you are located, but if you are that overpopulated with does/deer you should shoot them at all opportunities including the rut. Don't forget that you can have too many bucks as well as does on your property. Contiguous lands and their management should be considered also. Take advantage of using rifles as well as bow to try to get the population in line.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to kill at least 2, maybe 3 does during early bow season. That is the easiest time to kill does. I don't usually shoot does in rifle season unless I've already filled my buck tag. Like you say, a doe is the best decoy there is.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Spike

Hi BillyMack,
Ask one of your game wardens or contact one of your state biologists by phone or e-mail. They should be able to give you an estimate of the buck to doe ratio in your area. Your dead on about them not moving around when there are plenty of does around. Cuts down on the other parts of the rut. Less scrapes, rubs, and "fights". If its as bad as you think, You could drop every one you see and not make a dent without some help around you. Don't know how big an area your talking about either.
Good Luck on that 1st buck.